Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: 6.5 PRC what’s the point?!

6.5 PRC what’s the point?!

So if you are buying a factory gun and don’t reload I get it....

But if your building a custom and/or reloading then why not the 6.5 SAUM and download if you want less performance.

At most matches in NZ we are restricted to boltface for the class you shoot, so you are in magnum already and facing the 338 lapua, 300 Norma and any other slick calibers out there.

Am I missing something or not getting onboard the hype?
    Warm Barrels!

It an American thing, much like the creedmoor we already hand the 6.5x55 and the 260.
    Maybe because the 6.5 PRC is new and shiny, the 6.5 SAUM is old and dull?

The point is to make Hornady lots of money it’s the ballistic twin of 6.5-.284, but the marketing hype says its better somehow. Apparently it’s kinder on barrels too as it can defy the laws of physics.

That said, what’s the point of plenty of other cartridges? In each caliber there are dozens which pretty much do the same thing. Variety is the spice of life and its good to have options. I am often amused by the fuss that new magic cartridges generate and the marketing crap that goes with it, but there’s no harm in any of it. At least 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC provide those who don’t load their own with good quality factory ammo at sensible(ish) prices. Those who do reload can go with anything that takes their fancy.

I don’t have anything at all against any new cartridge, but I don’t feel the need to have one. I have rifles in good, old-fashioned and well proven chamberings. If nothing new ever came along we would all be just fine. In fact, if nothing new came along since the mid-60s we would all be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    So if you are buying a factory gun and don’t reload I get it....
    But if your building a custom and/or reloading then why not the 6.5 SAUM and download if you want less performance.
    At most matches in NZ we are restricted to boltface for the class you shoot, so you are in magnum already and facing the 338 lapua, 300 Norma and any other slick calibers out there.
    Am I missing something or not getting onboard the hype?
    I am very interested in a rifle in this calibre, and will probably buy a Sauer when they hit the shelves. But I cannot answer your last question about missing the point as the other part of your post is confusing. You mention the restricted bolt face of the class? Well the class of deer I will shoot are Red's, Sika and Fallow. I don't think they care!!
    I shoot a .284 at the moment, but I just can't get the hang of hand loading so am looking for something of similar performance in a calibre I can buy ammo for off the shelf. and the world is your oyster with calbres to choose from and the 6.5 PRC does not sound bad at all.
    Cheers
    Scott.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Matches in NZ are in two classes: magnum and non magnum.

The class you shoot determines the target distances.

Bolt face size not ballistics determines the class you are in.

So if you shoot a 6.5-284 you will be in non magnum class but if you use a PRC you are in magnum class with the same performance. So in NZ competitions you are better off shooting a non mag cartridge. Unless you want to shoot magnum, where you would elect a really big magnum...
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

R93
    I am contemplating on building or buying one as the specs if accurate can fill a need I have.

Hornady won't make any money out of me. If I get one I will reload and won't be using any hornady components.
    It won't be used in any competitions. Strictly a hunting rig.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

So if you shoot a 6.5-284 you will be in non magnum class but if you use a PRC you are in magnum class with the same performance. So in NZ competitions you are better off shooting a non mag cartridge. Unless you want to shoot magnum, where you would elect a really big magnum...
    I want one just for hunting...........
    Wildman, nor-west and HUNTY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    I want one just for hunting...........
    Have you got one ordered from Wilson's?? They say next month's shipment are nearly all taken. Was thinking about one but my 270wsm is so close to it its pointless.
    GWH likes this.

So why not run with 6.5x284 or 6.5SAUM ?

The moment Sako release a Carbonlight chambered in either 6.5 Prc or 6.5x284, I will be buying one immediately and mounting a Swaro Z8 on it as my "do it all" rifle.
    Will be selling everything else.
    7mmsaum, Tahr, nor-west and 3 others like this.

Not in the states though.

The 6.5 prc is really just a 6.5 284 that will fit in a short action with long bullets. Kinda like the creed not a new idea but just better thought out dimensions when working with heavy for cal bullets

Also They have some stupid rules in the states about coal for factory ammo due to saami spec. Basically the coal that is approved is the max coal you can produce in factory ammo in the states. Hence when you load the long heavies case capacity is compromised and jump is massive. These new cartridges are optimised and registered with saami using chamber and coal dimensions designed around longer bullets and hence don't handicap the factory ammo makers.

A true short action cartridge that can fling a 140 grainer at 2900plus is a good thing imo. The saum will do it obviously but no factory ammo or rifles
    Flyblown likes this.

Im just sick of NZ gunsmiths, hence why Im waiting for a factory offering from Sako.

Every bloody thing Iv asked a gunsmith to do, theyv stuffed it up in some way or another.
    I didnt think rebarreling and rechambering a Sako 85 from 270 to 3006 would be a hard job.
    Yet I get the rifle back and nows its a fuckin top load only job with the magazine stuck in the action. Ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Have you got one ordered from Wilson's?? They say next month's shipment are nearly all taken. Was thinking about one but my 270wsm is so close to it its pointless.
    Not quite.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tribrit View Post
    Im just sick of NZ gunsmiths, hence why Im waiting for a factory offering from Sako.

Every bloody thing Iv asked a gunsmith to do, theyv stuffed it up in some way or another.
    I didnt think rebarreling and rechambering a Sako 85 from 270 to 3006 would be a hard job.
    Yet I get the rifle back and nows its a fuckin top load only job with the magazine stuck in the action. Ffs
    Harsh to place all NZ gunsmiths in such regard. A lot of them do some great work and seems you have been unlucky.

I have no real desire to own one as I shoot a 284 but can see the appeal. No issues with mag feeding, no faffing about with gunsmiths, no reloading and I'm guessing some form of warranty from the rifle manufacturer in a caliber that you want. I enjoy reloading and tinkering but for someone who doesn't the prc seems like an awesome option