Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: 6mm Creedmoor vs 243

6mm Creedmoor vs 243

I'm having a change up and don't want to have another one anytime soon. Trying to decide between 243 and 6mm creedmoor.

243 been around longer, plenty of factory rifles chambered but pretty much all are 1 in 10 twist. Plenty of 90 grain bullets will kill deer out to 300 ish no problems?

Only reason in interested in the 6 creedmoor is the heavier for caliber bullets, but I probably don't need them do I?

Main use would be deer ( red, sika, fallow) a little varminting on private land with plenty of back stops and some paper/steel punching.

Or do I go straight past them both and get a 6.5 creedmoor for the heavier bullets that may or may not be better suited to deer at the distance I've described above?

I already have a 7mm rem mag that may be on the move shortly but that's another story.

6.5 bits are hard to get and could well be for the forseeable future...6mm still easy to get....
    look at it from different angle.
    what does the 6m cream puff give you the EBRG doesnt already do it spades,cheaper ...if you want faster twist I asume you will be building rifle??? or can you actually BUY AS STANDARD a 6mm creampuff...if you getting blank barrel chambered the twist rate is moot point as could make faster twist EBRG.

Yeah that it is a concern about the 6.5 creampuff, they're around at the moment but for how long.

Plan is to buy a factory rifle, building costs too much That being said there aren't many 6mm creampuff rifles around from what I can tell

If I was building I would just go with a fast twist 243 and be done with it, but I'm in a situation that I'd say a lot of us probably are (or have been) where I'd like to make it happen with funds already invested if that makes sense?

Selling one rifle to buy another different caliber so I can keep experimenting and learning.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    The first thing we should sort out,
    Are you gay?
    I don't see how that's relevant

I'm bi caliber curious if that helps?

Gone but not forgotten
    My 1:10 twist shoots the 90gr ELD-X really well, but the 103gr ELD-X was shocking as it wouldn't stabilise, couldn't even hit an A4 piece of paper. It shoots the Sierra 100gr Prohunter just fine though. I doubt I would use heavier bullets if I had a faster twist barrel, last time I looked there weren't many 6mm options over 100gr anyway.
    I'd happily shoot deer out to 300m with the 243 or a 6mm. The 6mm bullet does look very small, but in reality it is nearly double the weight of a 223 bullet, and nearly two-thirds the weight of a mid-weight 308 bullet.

I heard about a 6.5 Creedmoor owner who left it on her car seat with the door locked. Someone broke in and left 3 more with it.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I heard about a 6.5 Creedmoor owner who left it on her car seat with the door locked. Someone broke in and left 3 more with it.
    I hope they all had trigger locks on
    Tahr likes this.

Creedmoors have been around since 2007 haven't they? I would think the 6mm CM will be better on throats for a start.
    Bert 71 likes this.

If you want to shoot at long distance the creed wins hands down after 350 meters, unless you have a 1-8 twist 243 then they are very similar.
    Look at some ballistic calculators and decide fore yourself what you want it to do with it, inside 350 meters no difference.
    I have both!

sneakywaza I got
    Get a Remmy, then you'll have a 9" twist, sorted.
    csmiffy and grandpamac like this.

6mm creedmoor definitely not easier on throats than the 6.5 model, but probably easier than the 243 due to shoulder angles etc.That said, 1500- 2000 rounds isnt out of the question. I dont run my 6mm super fast. But its a comp gun, so long strings are frequent. I love my 6 creed, that said, id love a 243 too- so long as it carried the 7 or 8" twist needed for the 100gr + projectiles. The 108 eldm is a perfect all rounder for varmints, deer and steel. I run 107smk in mine, doesn't expand particularly reliably but for steel work its epic. Have taken it to 1620 so far and have been very competitive with it (mainly the prone stuff but positional stuff is inproving too)

That being said, a 243 with a 90gr eldx or the 95gr tmk will go really well, but imo your not getting the most from the slender 6mm if your not over 100gr
    Doon likes this.

243! Plenty of ammo available and always will be, plus they are just way more manly than a creedmore

Quote Originally Posted by keengunNic View Post
    6mm creedmoor definitely not easier on throats than the 6.5 model, but probably easier than the 243 due to shoulder angles etc.That said, 1500- 2000 rounds isnt out of the question. I dont run my 6mm super fast. But its a comp gun, so long strings are frequent. I love my 6 creed, that said, id love a 243 too- so long as it carried the 7 or 8" twist needed for the 100gr + projectiles. The 108 eldm is a perfect all rounder for varmints, deer and steel. I run 107smk in mine, doesn't expand particularly reliably but for steel work its epic. Have taken it to 1620 so far and have been very competitive with it (mainly the prone stuff but positional stuff is inproving too)

That being said, a 243 with a 90gr eldx or the 95gr tmk will go really well, but imo your not getting the most from the slender 6mm if your not over 100gr
    Yeah I get what you're saying, but do I need to get the most out of it? Probably not. From what people are saying, the 243 will do what I want to the range I want with a 10 twist.
    keengunNic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon View Post
    If you want to shoot at long distance the creed wins hands down after 350 meters, unless you have a 1-8 twist 243 then they are very similar.
    Look at some ballistic calculators and decide fore yourself what you want it to do with it, inside 350 meters no difference.
    I have both!
    I have been and still couldn't decide, finding a rifle to start with would be the challenge for the 6 man bun, then brass and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Get a Remmy, then you'll have a 9" twist, sorted.
    What model? I haven't looked very hard at the Remingtons
    keengunNic likes this.