Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: 6mm Rem AI

6mm Rem AI

Chaps does anyone here own and shoot a 6mm Rem AI?
    Interested in hearing feedback on your experiences. What bullet choices are you using in what makes and twists of barrels, barrel life, accuracy potential and what are you forming the brass from?
    Regards
    BW

Also cheers in advance for the well-meaning respondents and their input, with everything from 'I don't own one but I the internet says...' and my favourite 'don't bother! just get a [insert favourite other calibre here]' Thanks but nah...

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    Interested in hearing feedback on your experiences. What bullet choices are you using in what makes and twists of barrels, barrel life, accuracy potential and what are you forming the brass from?
    Regards
    BW

Also cheers in advance for the well-meaning respondents and their input, with everything from 'I don't own one but I the internet says...' and my favourite 'don't bother! just get a [insert favourite other calibre here]' Thanks but nah...
    Don't own or shoot one, but I have considered building one a number of times, happen to have a Rem long action and 6mm barrel to do it, but would likely go 6mm06 instead, more straight forward and gives 6mmWby mag results. 6mm Rem Ai beats the snot out of 6mm Cm and beats out .243 - I do know where a reamer and Chad4 dies (reamer and dies matched) can be found. A thought worth considering, a 25/06 with 100 grainers handily beats out a 6mRem Ai even if you get the twist rate to suit 108 Amax/115 Dtac ect.

Signed,
    Well meaning respondent
    nor-west, Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    Regards
    BW

Hi BW
    I use to have one will again one day I really rated the cartridge I was running a 26in barrel getting 3450 out of 95g projectiles even had a play with 70g for a bit of speed got them up just under 4K, I use to form brass from 7x57 laupa.
    Next one I do will be a faster twist previous was 1 in 10in,I shot everything from goats to thar with Nosler ballistic tips loaded with vihtavuori n160, it would shoot a genuine 1/2 Moa
    Thx
    6mm

Quote Originally Posted by 6mm ackley View Post
    Hi BW
    I use to have one will again one day I really rated the cartridge I was running a 26in barrel getting 3450 out of 95g projectiles even had a play with 70g for a bit of speed got them up just under 4K, I use to form brass from 7x57 laupa.
    Next one I do will be a faster twist previous was 1 in 10in,I shot everything from goats to thar with Nosler ballistic tips loaded with vihtavuori n160, it would shoot a genuine 1/2 Moa
    Thx
    6mm
    Excellent! with regard to case forming, did you just run the 7x57 brass into a FL 6mm imp die? or were there other forming steps? fireforming included?
    What twist do you think would have been better suited than 1-10?

Start with .244 rem or 257 Roberts brass and run through the FLS does and load a std .244 load to blow out.

I've got a std 6mm Remington CDL stainless, limited run, 1-9 twist is normal for 6mm Remington, I've shot up to 107gr Matrix in it, 105 a-max are good, but I am get choked for length, in the action with anything over 87gr,
    I been looking at AI and a whatts mag box, for a bit more length, I've run lots of hot loads threw it and with surperformance powder they really moving, Accuracy is slightly better with H4350,
    I think you need a long action if you want to run heavy bullets, My rifle is just starting to open up groups to around 1"1/4 now, was a honest 3/4" grouper with a 87gr Hornardy HP. I am looking Hard at a rebarell to, a 6mm x.22 fast twist, or .22 creedmore ( more brass choices) or a .358 win. Kind of torn, as its a limited edition rifle, with 6mm Remington engraved base metal.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I've got a std 6mm Remington CDL stainless, limited run, 1-9 twist is normal for 6mm Remington, I've shot up to 107gr Matrix in it, 105 a-max are good, but I am get choked for length, in the action with anything over 87gr,
    I been looking at AI and a whatts mag box, for a bit more length, I've run lots of hot loads threw it and with surperformance powder they really moving, Accuracy is slightly better with H4350,
    I think you need a long action if you want to run heavy bullets, My rifle is just starting to open up groups to around 1"1/4 now, was a honest 3/4" grouper with a 87gr Hornardy HP. I am looking Hard at a rebarell to, a 6mm x.22 fast twist, or .22 creedmore ( more brass choices) or a .358 win. Kind of torn, as its a limited edition rifle, with 6mm Remington engraved base metal.
    I was looking at getting A Shilen barrel from Brownell a and noticed they are in 1-10, I don’t know how much difference that will make..
    And also how much of it will fit in a Mauser length action