Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By winaa
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 2 Post By ebf

Thread: 7mm08 rechamber

7mm08 rechamber

What would be the best caliber to rechamber a 7mm08 to for a better long range rifle. Without having to rebarrel or change the bolt face. I have a mk v weatherby ultralight. Just curious about what is possible.
    Cheers

284Win is about all you can do. here's a link for some info Short Action .284 Win for Hunting and Tactical.
    7mm08 will get you out to 600m on animals with careful reloading/component selection and just shy of 1200m if you want to ping steel, How far are you wanting to shoot?
    I am using a 7mm08, I am about to spring for a extended mag for a max C.O.A.L of 2.950in and will be be reloading using Hornady 162gr ELD-M. Currently using Hornady 150gr ELD-X at 2.830in (max that will fit in my current mag) and they are good for around 550m on animals
    kiwijames likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by i41do2 View Post
    What would be the best caliber to rechamber a 7mm08 to for a better long range rifle. Without having to rebarrel or change the bolt face. I have a mk v weatherby ultralight. Just curious about what is possible.
    Cheers
    Easy enough to go to long action on those.

I made a 30-06 Tim on a 308, @Philipo, so a 280 Tim or the smaller 280Ai would work great.

Thanks Guys
    I'm not really sure how long I want to shoot, I am keen to get into some of these practical shooting events that keep popping up on the forum. But Family and work keep getting in the way haha.

I am also generally interested in long range hunting but suspect my shooting technique needs more work. Mostly though I am just keen of what can be achieved with the Wetherby. They have a reputation for shooting big. so wondered what could be achieved without having a massive change of gear (read: not to expensive).

Kiwi Greg what are the Tim calibers, are they like an Ackley Improved, a wildcat round?
    Also what is involved in lengthening a MK v ultralight to a long action?

Cheers
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by i41do2 View Post
    Thanks Guys
    I'm not really sure how long I want to shoot, I am keen to get into some of these practical shooting events that keep popping up on the forum. But Family and work keep getting in the way haha.

I am also generally interested in long range hunting but suspect my shooting technique needs more work. Mostly though I am just keen of what can be achieved with the Wetherby. They have a reputation for shooting big. so wondered what could be achieved without having a massive change of gear (read: not to expensive).

Kiwi Greg what are the Tim calibers, are they like an Ackley Improved, a wildcat round?
    Also what is involved in lengthening a MK v ultralight to a long action?

Cheers
    Dan
    The Tim is Philipos name Terminator Improved Maximum & it has sort of stuck.

It is based on a 280Ai with the shoulder pushed forward.

Simple Gunsmithing to change the Mark V from short to long.

ebf
    I use a 7mm08 to shoot gongs well beyond 1000 yds... With good ammo, a scope with enough dial range and LOTS of practice, it is a very capable caliber. Many of the gong comps now have a non-magnum class, so we are not competing directly against the magnums.

If you want to shoot an animal beyond lets say 5/6/700 yards, you might be better off going to a magnum caliber.

To answer your original question : 284 or 280AI if you don't mind single feeding (or converting to long action).
    i41do2 likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Thanks EBF,
    Sounds like I might need another rifle as well ��
    Yep decent scope is probably the next investment. I do have a Leupold vx3 4.5-14 and have just seen those new dial up caps they are offering which would certainly be an enhancement.

284win will work very well & is a decent step up on 7mm08 by about 200fps. I have a Wby MkV ultralight that was rechambered from 08 to 284 with 20 bbl. it's a dream to shoot with suppressor & I get 2850 fps w AMAXs so good to 800 yrd hunting ..... which is a long way. Bare rifle in stug cf stock us only 5&1/2 lb, makes for a very pleasant carry on the hill. Only downside for 284 is having to reload as no dactory Ammo - but if u want to shoot long range u r going to have to reload. Go get mighty 284!!
    camo wsm likes this.

ebf
    My advice is get a LR capable scope first, shoot more often, and worry about specialized calibers much, much later

To stretch the legs of a 7-08 you need to look at scopes with 70 to 100 MOA of dial range. Mount this on a rail or offset rings (Burris Signature Zee) so that you have the maximum dial range available.

Sightron S3 6-24 has 100 MOA dial and 20 MOA extra in the reticle, that will get you WAAAAY out there.
    tikka and Hen like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute