Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By stug

Thread: Adjustable rear sights

Adjustable rear sights

I got a quote to install a three leaf folding sight on a rifle and it was $1000.

So I'm wondering there surely has to be an open sights setup with a wheel or something to adjust elevation in the field.

I'm thinking something that can dial from 100 to 300m. The latter i probably wouldn't ever take on an animal mind you.

I'll scope the rifle with qr rings one day but it's mostly going to be an open sights deal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If it's open sights just set it up with a 100yd leaf so it shoots about 2" high at 100 yds. Then out to 300 yds you just have to aim at the top of the back. Having multiple leafs will see the wrong one up at the wrong time.
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.

What kind of rifle?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    If it's open sights just set it up with a 100yd leaf so it shoots about 2" high at 100 yds. Then out to 300 yds you just have to aim at the top of the back. Having multiple leafs will see the wrong one up at the wrong time.
    Makes sense, any recommendations on Makes? I know nothing about open sights in terms of what's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    What kind of rifle?
    Haven't decided, but I can't see myself buying any factory rifles as I just don't love any that do what I'm after.

Just a blade with a very fine v so that the front bead sits in the v so that the top of the bead is level with the top of the leaf and the bottom of the bead sits level with the bottom of the v. You will probably need to look at european manufacturers like recknagel.
    Then you just need to decide how big a bead you want and what colour. And do you want a dead-on hold (so that the bead covers where the bullets hit) or a six o'clock hold so that the bullets hit at the top of the bead.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Just a blade with a very fine v so that the front bead sits in the v so that the top of the bead is level with the top of the leaf and the bottom of the bead sits level with the bottom of the v. You will probably need to look at european manufacturers like recknagel.
    Then you just need to decide how big a bead you want and what colour. And do you want a dead-on hold (so that the bead covers where the bullets hit) or a six o'clock hold so that the bullets hit at the top of the bead.
    Thanks mate I'll look up that make, never heard of the six o'clock setup, guess it's good for not obscuring the target.