Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By oraki
  • 1 Post By Countryside

Thread: Advice on a savge 223 wtb

Advice on a savge 223 wtb

Hey guys I'm currently on the lookout for a 223 setup. I've been offered a savage axis in 223 stainless, suppressor and scope for what I belive a reasonable price. $800 What your thoughts on the axis? Yes I know there budget rifles. I'm a mad tikka fan myself but I'm after something cheap to shoot to knock over pigs/goats and fallow deer with minimal meat damage

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    I’ve got one in 223
    No complaints, shoots better than I do.
    Nice trigger, once I’d reduced the spring length.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Has a gunshitty ranger 3x9 and a hushpower suppressor, scope will be a throw away and I'll get a vx1 or something similar. Sounds like he has a few rifles too many. From pictures looks in ok nic apart from some lil surface rust on bolt from where he had stored separately I guess. Just dont want to waste my time driving across Auckland to have a look at it if the savage axis are a pos to start with ��

I have a savage Stevens shoots awesome

For their price point, they go alright.....bloody good to be honest. I’ve got one here that’s taken 6 Tahr (kids and nanny’s), dozen or so deer and dozens of wallabies. Probably close to 150 or so. Add to the mix rabbits and hares, couple of cats and 7-8 sheep. Only had the trigger lightened, (cut a coil off the spring) and I can’t really fault it,only quirk is can get fussy how you set up for the shot. The stock is flimsier than others, so pays to hold it similarly shot to shot.
    Shots tighter groups than a mates $2000 rifle. Not that I remind him of that very often.
    viper and mimms2 like this.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

in 223 got a mate with an axis, he's firmed up the stock, bedded the action, lightened the trigger and it shoots as well my model 12 savage which is a designated heavy weight paper punching rig. so impressed i've put my faith in savage and purchased a 223 savage storm lite as my main carry rifle. savage having pulled them apart, are a well engineered and the results are awesome, for the money, there is nothing wrong with a savage.

Thanks guys for your input. Il go have a nosey at it this coming weekend. Hes on a farm so he recons I can let a few epunds off to see what I think, i was set on a mini action howa base packages start at the 1500 mark.. and to be fair for a rifle that I may use 5/10 times a year for goats and pigs the axis may just do the job. Cheers
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes1 View Post
    I have a savage Stevens shoots awesome
    The Savage Stevens is wayyyyyyyyyyyy different to the Axis. I used to have one in 223, and agree it was awesome. But the Stevens is based on the Savage 110 action iirc? The axis is based in who knows what.

Countryside if you wanted a good cheap 223 I'd look at the Ruger American Ranch options, I've seen them down around $800 for the bare rifle.

So many mixed opinions I do like the ruger ranch but I'm mainly after a SS setup.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Savage does button rifling, which is better than hammer forge that all other mass production mid-low end guns' rifling were made with. I would take an savage axis over a ruger ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by Countryside View Post
    So many mixed opinions I do like the ruger ranch but I'm mainly after a SS setup.
    You could get a used howa set up for that much. Dont go too cheap on the glass though, a package deal job will get you out there but once you upgrade your stuck with a spare scope you dont want to use.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Cheers mate. That's interesting I'm gonna go for shoot of the savage this weekend and see what I think. It's not my main rifle as I have a tikka for the big boys. Just something ide use for bit of pest control pigs goats ect

The axis is a good rifle for the price point, the only thing that's average is the trigger from memory they don't have the accutrigger that other models do.
    The magazines are a bit fiddly to load. It will be much lighter than a ruger and about the same as a howa but as you want ss at that price it's by far your best bet.