Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: air pistols

air pistols

I am in need of an air pistol , unless someone has a better idea. yesterday the Mrs spent hours planting stuff in the garden , this morning we got up just in time to see the niebours ( up the road a bit ) chooks ripping the last plant out , not their 1st visit either, same niebours cat shits in the saw dust /chips in my wood shed and their fucking dogs shit on my lawn, and appeals seem to have fallen on deaf ears ..... so discouragement is the next step, What Im after is an air pistol that has a magazine or cylinder that holds a few slugs ( not BB's ) , rifled barrel , about 400fps ( I don't want to poke holes in the offending livestock ... yet , just give them a curry up ). I guess Im looking at a Co2 powered job.........any recommendations? . I don't want to spend heaps . I am in a rural setting
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

I don't want to poke holes in the offending livestock ... yet , just give them a curry up
    Wouldn't you then want BB's and not slugs? Steel BB's perhaps?
    veitnamcam and Toby like this.

MSL
    Chooks are dumb as shit, they will still come back
    Dead is better likes this.

What about a spud gun with a light ball of newspaper as a wad, all noise and WOOOFF. You'll never see the cat again, guaranteed
    Dead is better likes this.

CO2 powerlets tend to leak the gas out pretty quick and don't last more than a couple of days, better for what you want to do is the Benjamin pneumatic pistol or rifle you can vary the power by the number of pumps 400fps would probable kill a chook and leave wounds on cats and dogs unless they are at 20 metres or so hitting at that distance is not easy with a pistol the rifle with a a scope like the Nikko Sterling Air King with mil dots would be the best bet.

MSL
    Just catch them and take to the pound

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    What about a spud gun with a light ball of newspaper as a wad, all noise and WOOOFF. You'll never see the cat again, guaranteed
    A cat go woof?
    gadgetman likes this.
    If you can just be yourself,
    You can be anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    A cat go woof?
    Don't even need petrol
    kidmac42 likes this.

Sounds like a bad idea to me. I'm not sure what the answer is...but I wouldn't go down the road you're thinking as I will turn bad if a pellet is found under the skin.

Kj
    Dead is better and Roddy like this.

What about a decent slingshot?
    If you can just be yourself,
    You can be anything.

What we used to use as kids, however, is a lot cheaper. Get a piece of plastic pipe abut 18 to 20mm diameter and about 12 inches long. Buy a set of good quality rubber kitchen gloves (stretchy ones). Cut off the longest finger and tape it to the end of the tube. then you load it with any stone that fits down the tube, hold it in the finger tip like a slingshot, pull it back and fire away. Rather accurate when you get a wee bit of practise. Stick a few pieces of corrugated iron around the yard. Shoot at those when animals are near as it wont hurt the animal (chook or cat) but will make a hell of a noise and scare the crap about of them. You do NOT want to get in trouble with SPCA etc for harming someone's pets as this can have repercussions around firearms ownership later (refection on judgement and suitable person type issues)
    gadgetman, Tommy and Skatieguy like this.

Get a dog.
    bully likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    What we used to use as kids, however, is a lot cheaper. Get a piece of plastic pipe abut 18 to 20mm diameter and about 12 inches long. Buy a set of good quality rubber kitchen gloves (stretchy ones). Cut off the longest finger and tape it to the end of the tube. then you load it with any stone that fits down the tube, hold it in the finger tip like a slingshot, pull it back and fire away. Rather accurate when you get a wee bit of practise. Stick a few pieces of corrugated iron around the yard. Shoot at those when animals are near as it wont hurt the animal (chook or cat) but will make a hell of a noise and scare the crap about of them. You do NOT want to get in trouble with SPCA etc for harming someone's pets as this can have repercussions around firearms ownership later (refection on judgement and suitable person type issues)
    I'd go with something like this, or a blow gun (I use ali tube about 8mm inside), or airsoft.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

To catch a chook we used to use a long broom handle with a wire hook in the same way you use a shepards crook. You clip the wing feathers and pop them back over the fence. Make sure your own fence is chook proof and they cannot come back.

Another method for cats is a set of car air horns on a battery in a dry place in the yard with a switch where you can see the garden (Think Really LOUD door bell in the garden.) (or one of those cheap cordless door bells that runs on batteries.)

Or get a dog.........Small yappy ones work best from our experience. (lassa Apso/ Bichon/ poodle/ foxy ) anything about the same size a cat with a "wee man syndrome" attitude and a personality that would befit a caffiene addict.

Live trap and relocation in next town.
    Totally humain.
    veitnamcam likes this.