Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: For all the 270 haters

For all the 270 haters

The US army have just started implementing a cartridge/weapons change to (the world's greatest) projectile diameter .277 (6.8) replacing the 556 & 7.62 cartridges with a 6.8x51.
    It will be interesting to see if this is picked up by sporting manufacturers and if so will it include the bi-metal case & what twist rates etc
    Name:  Screenshot_20220511-093849_Chrome.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  187.0 KB
    Shearer and mawzer308 like this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

I don't hate 270's, they wish they came out with fast twist barrels so I didn't have to mess around with a 284.
    257weatherby likes this.

I wonder what those cases will be like for reloading?
    If it is do-able, I reckon there is potential for corrosion between the dissimilar metals, and some nasty experiences...
    Use enough gun

I thought the hate was for the cartridge not the caliber?

Long term storage if bi-metal cases sounds fun.
    blair993 likes this.

Probably no more corrosion than steel cases used elsewhere.

But interesting to see some new 270 projectile development.

wow a 270 wsm is better than a 223 on target

who would have known?
    veitnamcam and TeRei like this.

So... 6.8x64 (more or less) vs 6.8x51.those will be rather different animals - a stallion and a pony to use an analogy. However, the new kid on the block 6.8 will probably be better than the current 5.56 and 7.62 options at wounding human enemies - the main purpose of a military firearm. For this purpose, a 6.5mm would probably do just about as effectively there is only 0.013" or 0.3mm diametric difference.

80,000 is a big step up from 60,000-65,000 psi

should be a hot little round, basically equal speed wise to a 270wsm from what Iv gathered
    Its cool that they are going away from 223, and using a bi metal case with a locking washer in it
    it should at least give us a bit of new technology and a cool case to neck up to 7mm
    caberslash likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Could have stayed with .223 and/or .308 - all they need to do is drop the stupid fmj and load with Vmax or TMK et all, suddenly the juiced up cabbages drop on the spot. No repairing the fuckers to come back again. Job done.

No spending a gazillion dollars to develop anything.

And stick the Geneva Convention up your bum, it's hypocritical moronity, can't shoot them with a frangible pill, but you can hit him with HE and spray 30 others with razor sharp hi speed shell splinters....... logic? not much.

Lots of money to be made selling a new super dooper not needed round. Many die and are maimed, while an industry gets rich off their backs.
    Micky Duck and Dazzh like this.

6.8 is getting adopted to overcome perceived Chinese body armor so id say the FMJs are here for a while

also killing one only takes one out of combat
    injuring one take something like 4 or 5 out of action to stop him dying

make me laugh that soft points are immoral yet anything that shoots an explosive is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    6.8 is getting adopted to overcome perceived Chinese body armor so id say the FMJs are here for a while

make me laugh that soft points are immoral yet anything that shoots an explosive is fine
    unless your enemy is a terrorist who's fellow terrorists believe that a martyr left to die on the battlefield with get 50 virgins etc.
    Carbine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Yeah but haven't they just picked the right caliber for the ones with gender issues?
    2 genders and a whole lot of others with mental issues!
    hell, consenting adults in private can do what the hell they want but dont anyone tell me their 5 year old boy is a tranny and needs hormones etc. thats just bloody abuse on a huge scale
    ok back to subject, i always considered the 270 a bit of a castrated 3006, it was flatter but lacked "oomph" however i never considered it underpowered or ineffective its just something i never used. i was a 308 guy ( ok and 223, 762x39. 6.62r.....etc) ok now i'm a 7mm rm shooter ( wait for a bargain) but even this may be up for sale soon but never used a 270, neither did i ever use a 243 which is a castrated 308.
    if you can do a clean kill with it at a range you are comfortable with then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    5.56 doesn't kick at all in m16 or m4 format largely through little kick anyway recycled through a semi auto action. .308 stil kicks comparatively hard in anything other than a heavier semi like the SLR's that our troops used a gen or two ago.
    Pussy soft calibre like .270 is perfect for gun shy gung ho go getters. Soft at one end and brutally hard at the other. Matching section light machine guns too. Very impresssive.
    So, basically a ballistically inferior 7/08AI. Congratulations.

"I found a website, Jarret Rifles, that says "Most of our 7mm-08 Imp. rifles have a fairly short barrel, usually no longer than 20”, yet we get an honest 3050 f.p.s. with a 140 gr. bullet."

How many different kinds of round wheels are there?
    I had a small frame 20" barrel 7.62 AR10 that was crushed. It was a pleasure to shoot 168gr factory Amax suppressed, can't remember if I'd got around to putting an adjustable gas block on it. The new Sigs are piston with adjustable gas and reasonably heavy with full mag and optic, around 8.4lb

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    I had a small frame 20" barrel 7.62 AR10 that was crushed. It was a pleasure to shoot 168gr factory Amax suppressed, can't remember if I'd got around to putting an adjustable gas block on it. The new Sigs are piston with adjustable gas and reasonably heavy with full mag and optic, around 8.4lb
    Positively anorexic - a full pound lighter than my R4 rifle, sans optic!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post

I doubt the Chinese actually give a toss about patching up their wounded very much; there are a surplus of them, You don't have to defeat the body armour
    hit a trauma plate with a standard 7.62x51 NATO ball round and you have a smashed soldier that is out of action for a few days to a week.
    Micky Duck likes this.