Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 15 Post By Jamesyd
  • 3 Post By Jamesyd
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By viper

Thread: Another 10/22 build..

Another 10/22 build..

So anyone that knows me, knows I'm partial to a 10/22. Love the process of piecing them together, love shooting them, and love selling them to fund the next one haha. I never really fancied trying to build one for "proper" accuracy, I've done a few "target" type ones with bull barrels, but never focused on other aspects that are beneficial to longer range accuracy. Until now.
    Came across a 10/22 on Turdme with a 24" Green Mountain barrel, an Archangel stock and a Loopold(chinese Mk4). Picked that up, sold off the stock and stripped it down. Full of grease. After a good cleaning, it looked to have had little use. Got in touch with Geoff from The Gunrack, and got an Oryx chassis and MDT 20moa rail ordered. Next, was the choice of optic. Spending more than $500 on a scope intimidated me, having always kept to cheaper second hand stuff. Ended up grabbing a Vortex Venom 5-25x56 from Gunsnz for it. Bloody big thing with it's 34mm tube, but the glass is excellent, clicks are firm and audible, and the price wasn't half bad.
    Last thing to decide on was the trigger. I've never ventured past a Ruger BX before, but thought this deserved a bit more. After the rave review, and peer pressure from @rambo-6mmrem I decided on the Kidd 2 stage trigger, and man, what a trigger! So dam nice to use. Also grabbed a Kidd extended charging handle for good measure, from USAguns. Final purchases were a set of Wheeler engineering rings, and a FAT wrench. I've always ised the "that's tight enough I think" method of screwing guns together, but thought this deserved better.
    Fast forward to today, finally got a chance to shoot it! 50m from a bipod with CCi standard, so far pretty impressed! When i get a chance, I'll extended the range out to 100 and 150m to really try it out, as well as a selection of ammo, but zero complaints so far! While I do realise I could have bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire, or a Tikka T1x, or any nukber of CZ rifles, this is something I've pieced together myself, I can learn to shoot longer distance with, and I'm dam proud of!!

Name:  IMG_20211106_125927_118.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  262.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20211106_125927_125.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  99.5 KB
    muzr257, JoshC, erniec and 12 others like this.

Lucky my standard carbine is 2 inch groups at 50m. I'm disgusted with it.

@Jamesyd one of you 10/22 Wiz's should do a post on setting up one just for bunny busting with reasonable accuracy even if it is just with HS ammo. I have had my Anschutz 525 for years now & while it is very accurate ,l still like the advantage the flush mag of the 10/22 offers for spotlighting out the window which we do a lot for control & having a mag hang up on everything & getting bashed around when the Anschutz mags are as rare as rocking horse shit & made of gold by the price of them pisses me off.

Back in the 80's we were in Oz shearing & would Pro rabbit & Fox shoot for extra $$ ,once the chiller knew you were committed they would supply us with custom Brno 2 & !0/22 that they had a great world class gunsmith in Sydney build for them (Heimo Petzl).The Brno would be guaranteed to shoot 20-25mm & the 10/22 were MOA with Winchester HS ammo that was supplied in bulk, from memory (should never had sold the bloody thing),the 10/22s had the barrel band deleted & were bedded with a pressure point ,had a different buffer fitted & trigger worked, they just had the same Std barrel & stock. Mine loved the plain pack Bulk Winchester solids & always shot it into 3/4 MOA.

So what would it cost now to just set up 10/22 to shoot MOA reliably with HS ammo ,is it possible without having to sell a kidney??
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

The main issue with a standard one, from experience, is the quality control, especially in the newer ones. I've had standard ones that shoot less than MOA, and standard ones that shoot 2.5-3" groups. If you were on a budget, assuming you have a standard model that shoots ok, I wouldn't even bother replacing parts, other than the polymer buffer ($10-15). As mentioned, barrel band delete can definitely be a help, get the trigger worked by a gun smith or yourself of capable, play around with action screw/V-Block screw torque(can make quite a difference I've heard) and a bedded action/free floated barrel should get you good results on most 10/22s. If upgrading parts, from what I've learnt, I'd start with the trigger. As I had saod to me, and has rung true ever since, "An upgraded barrel will make the rifle shoot better, but an upgraded trigger will make YOU shoot better".
    Philb81, mimms2 and Stavanger like this.

the trigger is the single best improvement you can make to a 10-22
    while the Kidd 2 stage is by far the best its only worth the investment ($600) for a target rifle like this one

imo the other options aren't that much of an improvement over a gunsmith worked factory trigger under $100 if you supply the trigger
    which is what id suggest for a hunting rifle
    Jamesyd likes this.

many years ago, before i sold my ultimate 1/22. (relationship break up etc) it did well under 1 moa with the right ammo. it was heavy as hell, fussy on ammo. nowadays i am happy with a 10/2 that does a 2 inch group at 50

Yeah that's the one downside to this one, heavy as a house. But that does have it's advantages in the right situation. But definitely not one to go after rabbits with

for a long time I hated 10-22s
    I realised after a while its just a gun that attracts piss poor shooters that like to empty the mag and are lucky to get a body gut shot
    I have one now with a timney trigger cut short and it is more accurate or at least as accurate as my old brno model 2
    so it is my only 22 now and im as happy as a pig in shit, factory barrel shoots at least an inch at 40m so possibly I lucked out

I've done auto bolt release, polymer buffer, extended charging handle on mine. Tried playing with action screw torque but not much difference.

Bx trigger is next and if it still shoots like shit, I'll put a kidd barrel on it. Although usaguns.nz has advised me that kidd barrels don't like clambering cci subs, which is a problem.

Strange how much they vary, I brought a brand new Houge stainless 10/22 a couple of years back . Gundoc did some tweaks but all parts are factory and the rifle is stock.
    I took it out not expecting much and would have being ok with a 1 inch group at 50 mtrs as it's a working rifle.
    With a 3-9 Burris scope it shot a 6mm group at 50 mtrs.... it has continued to prove to be extremely reliable with both sub's and high speed though I 99% shoot subs. ( one of the tweaks )
    It has a great factory trigger ( another tweak ).
    I have grown to really like the little Ruger .Name:  measured group.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  332.9 KB
    Jamesyd likes this.

what were the tweaks for subs?

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Strange how much they vary, I brought a brand new Houge stainless 10/22 a couple of years back . Gundoc did some tweaks but all parts are factory and the rifle is stock.
    I took it out not expecting much and would have being ok with a 1 inch group at 50 mtrs as it's a working rifle.
    With a 3-9 Burris scope it shot a 6mm group at 50 mtrs.... it has continued to prove to be extremely reliable with both sub's and high speed though I 99% shoot subs. ( one of the tweaks )
    It has a great factory trigger ( another tweak ).
    I have grown to really like the little Ruger .Attachment 183107
    I hate you. (Just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    what were the tweaks for subs?
    It was a couple of years back but from memory he cut the spring down that sits on the long rod / charging handle. I don't know how much he trimmed off but it cycles subs all day long .