Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Another scope choice advice thread.

I have a mate who wants to shoot a bit longer than he does currently.
    He's looking at scope choices and we've narrowed it down to these three, what's you opinion here please.
    I use the Vx3 choice but don't want to encourage that option for him if the others are a better choice.
    He will mostly be shooting wallaby sized animals or smaller currently with his 243 but will probably move to some form of 6.5 in the next year or so and will be taking the scope with him. he doen't need the 6x20 range.

Sightron Big Sky 4.5x14 x44, 1 inch tube with side focus and clickable turrets, @USD629.00

Zeiss coquest 4.5x14x50, 1 inch tube that doesn't appear to have a focus , but has clickable turrets, @USD 849.00

Leupold 4.5x14x40 30 mm tube side focus @USD 809.00 with 2 M1 turrets on at that price.

Weaver Super slam 3x15x42 1 inch tube with side focus and of course the turrets, @USD 539.00

As I said these are what we're looking at at the moment, unless there are better alternatives, top price being the conquest 849USD
    And I'm not too sure about the adjustment on the Weaver, the web site says "# of clicks 41.9" I assume they mean MOA but not sure,if they do it possibly doesn't leave much elevation once it's sorted and sighted at 100yrds. I've emailed them for confirmation
    Thanks.

I'd get the Leupold or consider buying "the claw"'s used Mk4 for $1400NZ - if he still has it available.

Sightron has a silly name and long confusing lists of very similarly named scopes on their website and the reticle looks awful. I used one on a .17HMR in Brisbane (I think it was a 6-20 SII) and it was ok.

Conquests are Bad and they break.

Weaver have The Worst Website and the one you had had a stupidly thick reticle.

Go for the Leupy esp with the M1 turrets or get a CDS one.

The Original Striker
    Ive got a MK4 4.5-14x40 I could be intersted in selling, It has capped target turrets though
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Iv spent a bit of time with all of those except the sightron.But having played with a vortex viper HS for the last week or so Id get a HS viper 4-16 x44 or 50 LR on non lr if he didnt want exposed elevation turret. $540 US IIRC

Cheers Guys.
    Gimp, yes that was the wrong reticule I bought for what I had in mind,I'd be looking at the Duplex this time for him.

Kiwi gerg , Are CDS Turrets suitable for small game shooting???

Striker, thanks but I think we're after smaller turrets than the tall target ones.

Sneeze, we haven't looked at them , will do so .What is IIRC ? thanks.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly? That's what I've taken it as at any rate

Ok looking at the Viper web site, the 4x16x44 LR has an exposed elevation turret with 1/2 moa clicks. wouldn't it be possible that 1/2" at 100 for every click pose some sighting in problems?

Secondly looking at the 4x16x44 V plex reticle, it has caped turrets but looking at thier pictures it seems once the caps are off they are easily dialable, have I got this right.

If these scopes work, they seem to be a good first buy into the type of shooting he wishes to do.
    Last edited by jakewire; 11-12-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Yes 1/2 moa clicks for elevation on the LR model,personally I dont see a problem unless your target shooting. The metric boys using .1 mil are 1/3 moa. At any given distance you will be within 1 click of a 1/4 moa unit.Yes the non lr model seems to dial very well. I did a rough review on the one I have, its in this section.From what Iv read the back up seems to be top of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I'd get the Leupold or consider buying "the claw"'s used Mk4 for $1400NZ - if he still has it available.

Sightron has a silly name and long confusing lists of very similarly named scopes on their website and the reticle looks awful. I used one on a .17HMR in Brisbane (I think it was a 6-20 SII) and it was ok.

Conquests are Bad and they break.

Weaver have The Worst Website and the one you had had a stupidly thick reticle.

Yip the website is shit and info incorrect..

The std duplex is pretty fine... (.136 at 15x ) EBX is thick as shit (.477moa). Weight is actualy 21oz and has 60moa (42) 3-15x50 has 50moa

Sightron 4.5-14 SII SF is good glass and the mildot is plenty fine enough but with the small dial and 18moa per turn is bloody fine clicks.... I changed because of it but it is usable

Clearidge xp5 series, I have a xp 4.5x14 and BC bought the 2.5-12 I liked it so much I ordered one yesterday from theopticzone

http://theopticzone.com/products-pag...-duplex-matte/

and you get 8% off with the coupon reduction so around $420USD.

.5 MOA is fine, worst case scenario you have a maximum zero error of .25 MOA

I bought one superslam, then another,.....then ....another. I have played with a few types of scopes in various configurations and just found I like the super slams. One thing however is the knurled cap can undo itself. I wrap a bit of tape around it once its sighted in to solve that issue

Ejected
    Just go get a KAhles with the 4A, job done. 3X9X42 or some flowery shit like that.