Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Another which scope tread.....new vs second hand

Another which scope tread.....new vs second hand

Sorry but another which scope thread,called into the gun shop to have a look at a scope for the wife’s 223 that she’s waiting on, just to get a bit of an idea what’s available. Budget restricted to maybe $500. Old mate showed me a Burris 4-12x42 I think, was ok , and I looked at zero tech 3-12, which is around $300 range. Both are made in the same factory in China. I was probably more impressed with the zero tech for the money. Then I had a look at some 2nd hand scopes, a new condition in the original box vx1 3-9x40 for $370 odd and a vx2 3-9x40 for $350 an older scope, black gloss with a bit of rub mark on the turret. Both scopes had perfect lenses, no marks. I thought the vx1 was probably dear enough,I think I paid around that new for the same scope 5yrs ago but what would the vx2 be worth, and how can you tell if it is a genuine loopy vs a cheap knockoff? Would you go for the 2nd hand over the new cheaper scopes? I was thinking the little bit of extra magnification might be handy? Thanks Steve

A Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200 would be worth a look.
    GravelBen, Shearer and Moa Hunter like this.

I’ll comment on the 2nd hand vs new aspect.
    I’ve bought a few second hand scopes over time and can’t say I’ve being disappointed with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the three scope brands you are looking at: Burris, Leupold and ZeroTech all come with lifetime warranties so buying them secondhand does not matter. The scopes are warranted not the original owner, so buying secondhand is basically similar to buying new as they will be repaired/replaced if any problems.

ZeroTech is the new brand on the market with Leupold and Burris having a proven track record. However, ZeroTech is backed by TSA (Tasco Sales Australia), which has a long history in the scope market so the brand should last.

In regards to the Leupold VX-1 and VX-2, the VX-2 has superior lenses. The price for a s/h VX-1 3-9x is between NZ$200-$300, while a s/h VX-2 is NZ$300-$400. Don't worry about Chinese copies of VX-1 or VX-2 (these models usually not copied), but if you wish to check then send the serial number of the scope to Leupold via email and they will get back to you within 48 hours whether real.

In the end, the decision really comes down to your choice of magnification (3-9x vs 4-12x) and which scope you personally like the most...as any of the scopes will be fine.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Greetings Steverusty,
    As the scope is for your wife's rifle it would be politic to leave the final decision to her. From Hermitage's post above there are few bad choices so it comes down to personal preference and your wife may prefer something different to you. She may prefer something lighter and less fiddly. Only one way to find out.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Just in case you didn't know, it also makes a difference if it is a Vari-XII, VX-II, VX2 etc - they're not the same. Are you sure the older, gloss scope is actually a VX2?

either of the loopies will be good choice...but yes,let the little lady decide....or you will be hearing about it forever if she dont like it.

another vote for the Vixen 3-12 x40.
    Shearer and HandH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Basenjiboy View Post
    another vote for the Vixen 3-12 x40.
    And the used lenses might look okay to the naked eye but the coatings could be worn through (even gentle) cleaning. And the quality of coatings in terms of durability and light transmission has improved greatly. Every scope looks bright in sunlight looking out of the gunshop door...!

Quote Originally Posted by HandH View Post
    And the used lenses might look okay to the naked eye but the coatings could be worn through (even gentle) cleaning. And the quality of coatings in terms of durability and light transmission has improved greatly. Every scope looks bright in sunlight looking out of the gunshop door...!
    Ever noticed how the gun shop salesperson always invites you to go outside and try it?
    What potential buyers should be doing as well is looking into the darker corners of the shop itself.
    bumblefoot and Moa Hunter like this.

Gone the Vixen 3-12 x 40. I like the Japanese glass. nice lite scope as well.
    Shearer and HandH like this.

Thanks for the replies fellas we’ll have a look at the vixen as well. At the end of the day it will be the missus choice which scope just looking to muster a few options into the corner for her as a guide, before she gets swamped at the counter. I have learnt over time not to tell a woman what she needs!
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

Took the 3x12 - 40 vixen 1 to the range today, glass is excellent at 100Y had no problem stacking round on round, dialling took a while to get right seemed opposite to what I'm used to. Once set up YAY, I will not dial prefer to use the hold overs. Glass was impressive, the scope it replaced was a Z5 3x18 so dropped about 5 ounces to boot.
    Forestry likes this.

From what you've described, the Zero Tech sounds like a solid choice for the budget, and if it impressed you, that's a good sign. But when you stumble upon second-hand options like the vx1 and vx2, it adds an interesting twist.

For that money the Vixen is a great choice. I have two. A 3-12 and a 4-16. Both mil dot reticles. My only criticism would be that the cross hairs are fairly fine for my old eyes.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.