Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Another what rifle thread

northdude

Another what rifle thread

Ok so mrs northdude is doing quite well in the 22lr competitions she is entering and is starting to want to get into a nicer 22 she is currently using a mk2 savage which is going ok but would like something nicer as you do as you gain more confidence and experience shes a right hander so theres lots of options the 3 I'm going to look more into are anschutz as that's what I use and they seem pretty decent even tho mines not a top of the line model or lithgow or weirarch or however you spell it any other recommendations and no we dont want a chinese shitter
    WillB likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    how much are you looking to spend? anschutz and weirach are not the same price class. cz mtr recently entered into the $1400+ class. and there are a few sako quads around

I could spare a CZ 455 American with tuned trigger but probably not a big step up from Savage?

My wife has an Anschutz 1416D that shoots very well with CCI subsonic but its preferred ammo is the Eley HV HP with the black case that Shooting Stuff sell. I have a Weihrauch HW 60 J 22 LR which I have found shoots the RWS HV HP well, the group in the photo was shot at 75m.
    There is a big weight difference between the two rifles which both have high end 3-9x42mm scopes. The Anschutz weighs 3250 grams or 7lb 3oz where the Weihrauch tips the scales at 4150 grams or 9lb 2oz.
    Name:  IMG_1877.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  553.5 KB
    Last edited by Tech; 12-07-2020 at 08:19 PM.

77/22
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    how much are you looking to spend? anschutz and weirach are not the same price class. cz mtr recently entered into the $1400+ class. and there are a few sako quads around
    Looking around the 1500 dollar mark

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    That does look like incredible value.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Ok so mrs northdude is doing quite well in the 22lr competitions she is entering and is starting to want to get into a nicer 22 she is currently using a mk2 savage which is going ok but would like something nicer as you do as you gain more confidence and experience shes a right hander so theres lots of options the 3 I'm going to look more into are anschutz as that's what I use and they seem pretty decent even tho mines not a top of the line model or lithgow or weirarch or however you spell it any other recommendations and no we dont want a chinese shitter
    What type of competitions? Shooting from standing, prone, bench?

northdude
    Prone sitting kneeling standing

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Try a lithgow - I have one myself and so do some mates who target shoot
    If you are ‘north’ as in Whangarei PM me

Perhaps like the indoor 25m NZDA organised shoots we have locally? I shoot that myself with a Voere 2000, wife uses a BRNO #1. One more question for the moment then - how much weight is she going to be comfortable with?

Edit - and another: preference for wood stock vs. synthetic?
    Last edited by PaulNZ; 12-07-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Another question

northdude
    50m outdoor nada shoots if shes not walking around hunting with it most weights would be fine

northdude
    Nzda

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    It would be used with a scope on it

Here's my 2c. Bear in mind most of this info is secondhand experience only.

Assuming you want to buy new:
    • Weihrauch Hw60 or HW66 if you value walnut and steel craftsmanship and can put up with it being on the heavier side. At the price they're listed in the Reloaders catalogue they seem like a remarkable bargain - reviews typically put them ahead of the 64-action Anschutz.
    • Tikka T1X if you want a lighter option and are not worried about plastic. I believe they are also compatible with T3 stocks if you wanted to source a walnut take-off, in fact Guncity offered a walnut stocked version at one time?
    • Anschutz 64 action which is what I presume you already have. Various configurations available.
    • Lithgow I know very little about other than they would be worth a look based on reputation. And that the trigger is only adjustable by swapping springs.
    • CZ I get the impression might be more hit and miss than the others in terms of target accuracy? If going this way I'd look at either the older 452 or the new 457 and give the 455 in the middle a miss.
    • Howa have just come out with the 1100? Bit of an unknown quantity at this point though.

If you consider secondhand, then the list extends to 54-action Anschutz and Sako .22's. I know Taupo H&F had an Anschutz 1422 (54 action with the Monte-Carlo stock) a couple of weeks back they were selling on behalf - comes with a Leupold AO target scope from memory. I didn't look closely at it (I'm not in the market) but I think the price was around your range.