Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Any one know if the BSA CF2 308 is short, Med or long action?

Any one know if the BSA CF2 308 is short, Med or long action?

Hi
    I am looking at getting a replacement stock for my BSA CF2 308 the company that I am looking at shows long and short actions and I am not sure what I have in 308, anyone out there no there BSA CF2's, Cheers

According to Frank de Haas's book the CF2 action was the same length from 222 to 300mag. I had a late model and it was disappointingly the same I think. Mine was in 222 and had a big spacer in the mag.
    Another place to look (google) is here http://www.airgunspares.com/store/content/87/BSA/ but this list only defines the early Hunter models by action length. Maybe because the CF2s are not defined you can assume de Haas is correct. I am sure a BSA wizard will confirm though.
    Last edited by zimmer; 17-04-2016 at 05:54 PM.
    FlukeShot likes this.

I had a cf2 in 222, it was a long action pretty sure they all were
    FlukeShot likes this.

Yep there all long action. But a very good one that will be good for a rifle build.
    Good luck with your stock hunting
    FlukeShot likes this.

Not only is it a long action, but the outline shape of the floor plate is different from the rest of the BSA production.
    FlukeShot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Not only is it a long action, but the outline shape of the floor plate is different from the rest of the BSA production.
    What he said.
    FlukeShot likes this.
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

Thanks guys for all your input, I Have ordered a replacement stock based on the long action from the states. Looking forward to bedding it in and getting it back out hunting.

The stock that is on its way from the states Name:  BSA CF2 Stock.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  39.7 KB
    Tuidog and ZG47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    After having a look around and then found this site Firearm Parts & Accessories | Military Surplus | Numrich Gun Parts did a search and they seem to have a good selection of parts for all sorts. Price I was very happy with at around the NZ $260 including shipping. Thought it was not a bad price and comparable to uk but not sure what shipping would have been from uk.

FlukeShot

I recommend that you unscrew the butt pad when you get the stock and apply several coats of thinned varnish to the end grain. BSA were getting a bit lazy with their stock sealing in the 1980s. If they did seal it, all is good but you need to be sure before going bush.

Have fun, they are nice accurate rifles. By the way, if you have lost the trigger adjustment Allen key, the size is .050".

Also, for those who are not aware, the mouse gun version of the CF2 is actually set up to feed the .222 Remington Magnum, so if you want to build a heavy weight .204 Ruger with reliable feeding, a CF2 in .222 with a stuffed barrel could be what you want.
    FlukeShot likes this.
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

yep they are all long same as the tikka t3s there's no such thing as a med or short action cf2 they just make the bolt stop longer or shorter depending on the cal
    bloody nice rifles though
    FlukeShot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FlukeShot View Post
    After having a look around and then found this site Firearm Parts & Accessories | Military Surplus | Numrich Gun Parts did a search and they seem to have a good selection of parts for all sorts. Price I was very happy with at around the NZ $260 including shipping. Thought it was not a bad price and comparable to uk but not sure what shipping would have been from uk.
    you shouldn't have any issue with numrich if the part your buying is under $100us if its $101us you need an export permit which the us govt charge like wounded bulls for

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    you shouldn't have any issue with numrich if the part your buying is under $100us if its $101us you need an export permit which the us govt charge like wounded bulls for
    That's why I was think UK no export permit needed as a stock is not considered back of a firearm until it's attached!
    Barrels also not considered a part until it has a chamber! Till then it's just a metal rod with a fancy hole through the middle
    FlukeShot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZG47 View Post
    FlukeShot

I recommend that you unscrew the butt pad when you get the stock and apply several coats of thinned varnish to the end grain. BSA were getting a bit lazy with their stock sealing in the 1980s. If they did seal it, all is good but you need to be sure before going bush.

Have fun, they are nice accurate rifles. By the way, if you have lost the trigger adjustment Allen key, the size is .050".

Also, for those who are not aware, the mouse gun version of the CF2 is actually set up to feed the .222 Remington Magnum, so if you want to build a heavy weight .204 Ruger with reliable feeding, a CF2 in .222 with a stuffed barrel could be what you want.
    Thanks ZG47 for that bit of info. Good information to have and I will check it when it arrives. Currently in Auckland customs. So not to far away