Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Any thoughts, advice 17 hmr

Hi all. Happy New Year.

I want to get a good quality .17 hmr. Any guidance. I like the look of some of the Anschutz models, but seems like you have to go to Levin to get a look at one.

Would really welcome your thoughts. Have. Nice new Leupold waiting to be attached!!!!

Or a nice CZ452. Bit cheaper, just as nice a rifle (IMO)

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    You have a number of good options available to you. Even though I have never owned one, the CZ's have a fabulous reputation for build quality and accuracy for the price. Personally, I have a Ruger M77/17 which has been a solid performer for me and I must have murdered 000's of bunnies and possums with it.
    If I had my time again, I have no doubt I would purchase a Weihrauch HW60J given my recent experiences with owning a .22LR version. There is a fabulous review on the Shooting Times website called "Weihrauch HW60J .17HMR rifle review". Sportways Gunshed have one in stock right now in Auckland. Alternatively - send me $1000 and I'll ship you my Ruger and I'll go buy the Weihrauch.
    ATB and keep safe in the hills!

CZ's are nice as has been said, I'm a fan of Savages for accuracy and the nicest factory trigger around, Marlins have a good rep for accuracy and reliability too but both them and the CZ's need a trigger job to be acceptable IMO. Haven't used anything from the next price range up but I expect that (like other rifles) the extra money is reflected in build quality and fit+finish more than accuracy.

Having owned a CZ 455 17hmr and having access to the old mans Anschutz 1517, I would hands down go with the anschutz. Yes they are slightly more than the other options available but are hands down the best rim fire rifle i have shot. CZ bolt needs repeating to smooth it out and the trigger was gritty. If money is an issue go with the CZ, and as stated the savages go well too. An anschutz and a nice leup scope set up would be the bees knees. The old man has the heavy barrel version and is a tac driver. Have just been at our place at Peel Forest over the summer break and shot 17 rabbits with it. All 50-200m and all were head shots as I am a fan of rabbit pie. Let us know how you get on.

Ring h& f in Taupo they had a very nice Anshutz with a leupy scope $1800.00.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hi Guys.

Thank you all for your thoughts, support and advice. I have finally made a decision, and will be going for the Anschutz 1517. On top will be going the Leupold V3 4.5-14 x 50. Cant wait.

Thanks for all your help once again.

G

Will be one hell of a set up. Enjoy mate.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Nice !!! Rabbits and possums around Rotorua are quivering in their boots !