Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Anyone brought a rifle back from USA as checked baggage?

Has anyone done this? I'm about to move there for 12 months on a work visa and have got an unfired NIB Sako 75 Hunter in .280 (rare) sitting at a mates in Mississippi. Will want to bring it back with me after the visa expires has anyone just checked a rifle as baggage coming back from there? I did a little research online and I don't think it's technically legal. I have heard of people just doing it though with no dramas. Otherwise i'm looking at US$400 to get it exported here. I don't want to end up in prison over there getting a daily human booster shot from a large black man named leroy

Pay the $$ to have it done properly. As a non US alien you can't buy or take possession of a firearm while there
    unless you really want to meet bubba in the clink and loose you rifle as well.

Not to mention the implications of having a conviction when you want too trave

l............unless of course you are a famous......(insert profession / special reason here) and will be let off!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

As noted above the main point in question is whether you can "own" or be in possession of a firearm as a non US citizen or permanent resident.

I have bought a few rifles back to NZ as checked baggage (airline approved locked case) on various airlines through various US airports without any more than the standard questions.
    - locked case
    - ammunition and bolt in a second checked bag

No one at the airport asked if I had a "permit" or "license" - I don't think the airline staff or TSA people would ask anyone.