Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By ChrisW
  • 4 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Frodo

Thread: Anyone with experience returning NZ with firearms

Anyone with experience returning NZ with firearms

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Don't see a general purpose or licensing sub forum.

Wonder if anyone had experience bringing firearms back to NZ from overseas without NZ firearm license? What's the procedures to get permits/license in advance before boarding the airline?

Do I have to apply firearm license in advance, wait for background check, when get approve for the safety course, fly back do it and pass both theory and practical tests(hopefully same day or within a short period of time) and wait for the interview(fly back again if it might take few weeks or even longer period), then get approval for the license with the right endorsement?

I do own firearm licenses overseas, but I understand it may not work like driver license you can exchange. If they do allow a transfer, that would safe a lot of hassle and money. If they don't, is that the only way above to do so? Or get the temporary license/permit for foreigners while I am waiting for the tests/interview as long as I can get a safe storage in NZ?

Thanks in advance.

Bus driver
    Pretty much spelt out in the NZ firearms code......i have an FAL,...and overseas “whatever”licenses......they dont mean shit!!!

When in New Zealand,then do what they do/want in New Zealand....simple
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by xiaohan View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Don't see a general purpose or licensing sub forum.

Wonder if anyone had experience bringing firearms back to NZ from overseas without NZ firearm license? What's the procedures to get permits/license in advance before boarding the airline?

Do I have to apply firearm license in advance, wait for background check, when get approve for the safety course, fly back do it and pass both theory and practical tests(hopefully same day or within a short period of time) and wait for the interview(fly back again if it might take few weeks or even longer period), then get approval for the license with the right endorsement?

I do own firearm licenses overseas, but I understand it may not work like driver license you can exchange. If they do allow a transfer, that would safe a lot of hassle and money. If they don't, is that the only way above to do so? Or get the temporary license/permit for foreigners while I am waiting for the tests/interview as long as I can get a safe storage in NZ?

Thanks in advance.
    You will need an NZ license in order to get an import permit. Not sure how temporary permits work though for hunters coming into NZ for just a hunting trip.

Best is to make contact with an Arms Officer and discuss your options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

R93
    If you have a NZ firearms licence it is piece of piss. Just need a permit to import.

If you are an overseas hunter bringing a firearm it is also a formality with the correct paperwork.
    I would recommend starting any paperwork a few months in advance due to the current climate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

A bit more background would help.
    Are you just coming for a hunt with the intention of taking the firearms back to your own country?
    Are you immigrating here and want to bring your firearms with you? If so what if your immigration status? Citizen, resident, working visa etc?

Basically, if you are coming for a hunting trip with the intention of soon leaving the country again then you would get a temporary licence and the required permits to bring your firearm with you etc.

If you are moving here with the intention of bringing your firearms with you then you need an NZ firearms licence before you are allowed to import or posses any firearms in NZ. So as far as im aware you would need to move here, complete your licence, then go through the process to get permits to import your firearms from overseas.

The short of it is you are not allowed to import or possess any firearms in NZ without an NZ licence, so the licence needs to come prior to importing anything. But no you cant just jump on a plane to NZ with your guns, collect them at this end, then get your licence and live happily ever after.

Another thing to keep in mind is you cant get an NZ licence without appropriate safe storage provisions. They will check your storage prior to granting you a licence, so you can fly back and fourth all you want to complete theory tests etc but if you don't have a gun safe at your NZ residence then you cant get a licence. Even if you don't own or possess any guns you still need the safe in order to get your licence. The safe is a licence requirement irrespective of if you actually possess any guns or not.

If you are "returning" to NZ to live, as it sounds like you are then you have two options that im aware of.
    A. The firearms need to stay in Canada till you get your NZ licence and are then allowed to import them, assuming they are legal in this country.
    B. Get someone else with an NZ licence to import your firearms, and store them as their own while you go through the licencing process.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 16-10-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks a lot guy.

Appreciated for some of the detailed explanation and suggestions. As only a plan, I am getting all the info first, then I can plan whenever they need me to be there. Still at least a year time for me. But good to know all of that.

You can however hop off the plane, get a car and drive it legally on your overseas drivers licence, drive it down the wrong side of the road and kill a family out for a weekend away with the kids. That's all good, no licence needed.
    tetawa, A330driver, Frodo and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    You can however hop off the plane, get a car and drive it legally on your overseas drivers licence, drive it down the wrong side of the road and kill a family out for a weekend away with the kids. That's all good, no licence needed.
    Yep. We've got our priorities straight, alright.
    tetawa likes this.

Bus driver
    Yeah mate ....bloody pathetic......and yet,.....when you stop them ,take the keys away from the mad bassturds,...YOU ARE NOW THE CRIMINAL......BULLSHIT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary