Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: AR-10 Decisions

AR-10 Decisions

I'm after my 1st ar10 , I was thinking the new dpms gen2 or armalite I'm after something like a recce type AR any help would be appreciated.
    seano likes this.

res
    As not all ar10 stuff is as interchangeable as ar15 stuff it's probably worth thinking about what is going to be posable to get parts for down the track.
    They also don't all take the same mags,not a big deal if your importing yourself and bringing a large pile of mags on at the same time, but a big issue for some as mags get lost and damaged-I sold my first ar10 years ago as mags were like rocking house shit.
    Using Tapatalk

Looking at the cost to buy here in NZ at $3k, v import from the USA, I'd suggest considering getting the parts via Brownells. As per res from reading up on AR10s manufacturers like say Windham say their AR10 isnt "standard". So far it looks like the DPMS is worth considering from that aspect, unless anyone else says differently? Let me/us know how you get on as I am considering doing the same thing in the future.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I have a RRA AR10 LAR and at the time compared the RRA alongside the DPMS the RRA won hands down, just don't get to use it that much.
    Shoots bloody great, bit on the heavy side though.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Looking at the cost to buy here in NZ at $3k, v import from the USA, I'd suggest considering getting the parts via Brownells. As per res from reading up on AR10s manufacturers like say Windham say their AR10 isnt "standard". So far it looks like the DPMS is worth considering from that aspect, unless anyone else says differently? Let me/us know how you get on as I am considering doing the same thing in the future.
    Yeah Steven that's why I was looking at the new dmps gen 2 they are supposedly interchangeable with the ar15 platform except the bolt & barrel. As well as they use magpul mags not the fn m14 mags.

I looked into the RRA they seemed to be well made and have a reputation for good accuracy, but as you say heavy.

Get a dpms based gun. At least it has some partz commonality. Most mfgs use the dpms gen 1 pattern.
    steven likes this.

I am in exactly the same boat as the OP.

I'm settling on either the:

1) Ruger SR-762
    2) RRA LAR-8 Elite Operator
    3) DPMS Gen II Recon
    4) Make my own

I'm leaning towards the Ruger SR-762 due to the gas piston design and lower recoil. Close second is the RRA. Weight is good on them all at around 8.5 pounds. Trigger is a bit funny but fixable.

Cheers

Greenie

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    I am in exactly the same boat as the OP.

I'm settling on either the:

1) Ruger SR-762
    2) RRA LAR-8 Elite Operator
    3) DPMS Gen II Recon
    4) Make my own

I'm leaning towards the Ruger SR-762 due to the gas piston design and lower recoil. Close second is the RRA. Weight is good on them all at around 8.5 pounds. Trigger is a bit funny but fixable.

Cheers

Greenie
    what mags does the Ruger take?

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    what mags does the Ruger take?
    Comes with (Depends on who's selling it) 3x20 rounds PMAG mags, though I have seen some using the DPMS straight mags.

Depends a bit on what barrel you want, too. Someone was saying the blast from the shorter 16 inch barrels is a lot more than say the 20's. Gingo's I haven't done this for 20 years so I'm a bit of a noob.

The other one I looked at was the RRA LAR-8 Standard Operator with the 20 inch barrel.

What's the consensus of opinion re the "Blast noise levels" short vs longer barrel guys?

Cheers

Greenie

I'm doing the same, have import permits submitted to build up an AR10 from DPMS parts from Brownells.

Should be approved in around 8 months.
    steven likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I'm doing the same, have import permits submitted to build up an AR10 from DPMS parts from Brownells.

Should be approved in around 8 months.
    LoL, just in time to hand down to Sam
    dogmatix and steven like this.

"Get a dpms based gun" agree here for AR10s if only for ease of getting DPMS style parts from say Brownells. I am a big fan of KISS, keep is simple and stupid. Ive been stuck before with no access to spares parts (think Audi) and had to wait typically 2 months for bits, which when its 6months between warrants is just no fun.

regards
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

After looking further into the Ruger SR-762, I think I'll give it a miss.

Looks like I'm heading towards the: RRA LAR-8 Elite Operator with the 16 inch barrel at 9.1 pounds is the one, the standard Operator is a 20 inch barrel and another pound heavier at 10.1 pounds..any thought on barrel and weight guys?

Question: What is with the increased noise from shorter barrels? Is it much louder and how do you lower it a bit without a suppressor?

Cheers
    Last edited by Greenie; 22-10-2014 at 02:00 PM.