Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Tentman

Thread: AR 300 BLK build - wrapped!

AR 300 BLK build - wrapped!

Over the past few months I've gotten quite a bit of help from various good buggers on the forum, with advice and parts.

I don't want to post photos up here and risk becoming a "target" so no pics I'm sorry but its a NZAR15 Aero Precision kit, with a 12.5" CMMG barrel. I added an after-market trigger, an adjustable gas port and a Armaspec H3 stealth buffer, also a DPT suppressor. Its scoped with a Leupy 2-7x28, one of the older gloss sort.

I worked up a load using 125 SST's (this is always going to be a supersonic rifle), getting 2045 fps with them from the 12.5" which I was pretty happy with (the factory Fiocchi 125 SST's do 2025 from my barrel, and at $36 for a box of 25, its not too badly priced).

Today I got to shoot it for the first time at paper. At 50 meters the Fiocchi factory ammo gave me two "three shot" groups of under 19mm, that got it roughly zeroed so I stepped it back to 90 meters. Two further groups with factory ammo, one of 48mm and one of 41 mm had me pretty pleased, time to try the handloads. Bingo - a 21mm group first up, followed by a second a tiny bit smaller.

Its a keeper, thats dead deer with factory loads to as far as you can shoot with a 300 BLK (150M maybe 180-200ish in ideal circumstances), and with handloads good enough to dial onto wallabies and the like a good bit further, to maybe 300. My groups are shrinking as I get accustomed to the rifle, so I'm sure I can get the factory ammo a bit better than today's effort

So thanks everyone, appreciated!