Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ar15 in 22lr configuration?

Ar15 in 22lr configuration?

Hi guys.
    So I'm sure I have seen something about being able to run 22lr in an AR.
    (Note I have no idea about ARs, so be kind).
    If you can do this what is the accuracy of the 22 like? I.e. would it be good enough to use for rabbits and general use around the farm. Better than a ruger 10/22?
    What is the cost?
    Are they specific brands of Ar15 that it will work on?

Thanks Kyle

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

cheaper to just buy a decent 22 than a 22lr conversion kit

Smith and Wesson MP 15-22

Keep an eye out for a cmmg upper. Will work on a standard lower.
    puku likes this.

I had a AR in 223 and a 10/22 - so I sold the 10/22 to fund the purchase of a cmmg upper which i use for shooting bunnies and possums on farms (1 lower 2 uppers). Should run fine in most ARs although I understand there can problems if the lower has an aftermarket trigger.

Right. Apart from the obvious what is a lower and what's the upper?
    I already have a marlin bolt work a full length MAE suppress but that's getting a bit boring. I've had it at least 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Keep an eye out for a cmmg upper. Will work on a standard lower.
    Thanks Tommy. But cmmg is a brand or a type of part?
    I feel I have much to learn

Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    AR15 terminology, lower is the bit you hang onto and the mag goes into. Upper contains the BCG (bolt carrier group), barrel, and the bits that contain the bangy bit when you pull the trigger. There is a pin you push out at the rear just above the pistol grip, that allows the two bits to pivot open which allows you to clean the carbon choked mess.

There's a wee bit more to it than that, but you get the idea.

The CMMG upper referred to, is a replacement barrel, bolt, bolt carrier and upper receiver complete which should fit onto most lower receivers give or take a few gremlins.
    Yep this. Basically a standard lower will set you back $500 and up, onto which you plonk an 'upper' which is the bit that makes it a 22lr (the upper will usually cost around a grand. ). Then you have a complete rifle (minus magazines). Buy a second upper in 223rem for another grand or so and it becomes 2 rifles.

Also to clarify there are ".22LR conversion kits" (which replace the bolt carrier group and allow you to fire .22LR through the .223 upper), ".22LR dedicated uppers". The conversion kits are cheaper but personally having had both the dedicated upper is the only way to go if you want accuracy and reliability. I've got a 16" CMMG .22LR upper that I put together (used the conversion kit and sourced a CMMG .22LR barrel) and it runs perfectly with winchester 40gr subs, and CCI std velocity as well as high velocity ammo. Some can be fussy with subs. Accuracy wise mine shoots very well, maybe I was lucky and got a good barrel. On the whole it is slightly more accurate than my std Ruger 10/22 which also shoots well. It's had thousands of rounds through it.

Name:  20170120_162200_resized.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  237.0 KB
    Beaker and Pineapple like this.

UPPPER (availible in a number of calibers)

Name:  upper.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  11.8 KB

LOWER (the same lower will fit most uppers, I say most because some tolerances make for some very tight/impossible fits)

Name:  lower.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  12.7 KB
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    UPPPER (availible in a number of calibers)

Attachment 62541

LOWER (the same lower will fit most uppers, I say most because some tolerances make for some very tight/impossible fits)

Attachment 62542
    Thanks Glycerine, Pictures help heaps! So the barrel is included in the upper. And trigger group stays at the bottom. Pretty simple really.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    Also to clarify there are ".22LR conversion kits" (which replace the bolt carrier group and allow you to fire .22LR through the .223 upper), ".22LR dedicated uppers". The conversion kits are cheaper but personally having had both the dedicated upper is the only way to go if you want accuracy and reliability. I've got a 16" CMMG .22LR upper that I put together (used the conversion kit and sourced a CMMG .22LR barrel) and it runs perfectly with winchester 40gr subs, and CCI std velocity as well as high velocity ammo. Some can be fussy with subs. Accuracy wise mine shoots very well, maybe I was lucky and got a good barrel. On the whole it is slightly more accurate than my std Ruger 10/22 which also shoots well. It's had thousands of rounds through it.

Attachment 62540
    Ahaha so this may have tripped me up. You can get a dedicated 22lr upper or you can get a kit which uses the upper from the 223 and the 223 barrel? (Jeez I hope I have that right).
    And so you have answered another question I was thinking, that the dedicated would be more accurate.

I will ponder some more.

Thanks

I bought a Nordic Arms chassis from Brownells before the export fee became exorbitant and dropped my 10/22 into it. It's capable of taking AR accessories and so i chucked my leftover parts (A-Cat stock and free float handguard) on it.

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Ahaha so this may have tripped me up. You can get a dedicated 22lr upper or you can get a kit which uses the upper from the 223 and the 223 barrel? (Jeez I hope I have that right).
    yes the dedicated will be more accurate, as the 22lr barrel will have a more suitable twist rate than using the 223
    puku and Tommy like this.

So looking at twist rates of the 223 barrels they vary from about 7 or 8 to 10". If I was to buy one I would like to use the 75gn amax still as I have a good supply of them. However what is the length of the magazines, or more so what is the max length a case can be loaded to that it will still be capable of loading.

Unfortunately the 75 A-Max loaded to mag length in the AR isn't a good mix due to the ogive being inside the case. You will have to either single load (drop them throug the ejection port on the mag follower) or run the Sierra 77 SMK or Hornady 75gr BTHP projectiles if wanting to run them through the mag. I think AR mags are around 2.250" internally.