Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AR15 Questions

AR15 Questions

Hey everyone, I have a question about my new ar. I have a factory assembled Aero Precision M4E1 lower and the castle nut that locks the buffer appears to be staked (dot punch on the detent plate int the castle nut). I want to fit a sling plate, which means I need to remove this. I have tried to undo it using the tool, but I feel like I am going to break the magwell (using a mag vice to hold it)

Whats the best method for getting the castle nut off with minimal damage? I don't even mind buying a new nut if its going to be destructive, just want to save the buffer tube etc. I can go take pics if I havent explained it well.

northdude
    you need to hold it with one of those ones that fit around the outside of the upper forgot what its called and hold it in a vice

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    you need to hold it with one of those ones that fit around the outside of the upper forgot what its called and hold it in a vice
    The buffer tube is on the lower. I havent seen a vice that does the lower? Or am i not looking hard enough?

youtube....
    Use enough gun

Thanks very helpful, Why didn't I think of that...
    40mm likes this.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennos View Post
    The buffer tube is on the lower. I havent seen a vice that does the lower? Or am i not looking hard enough?
    Ok been a while since i built a couple

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Ok been a while since i built a couple
    Yeah, seems odd, everything ive watched or seen the castle nut is quite easily unscrewed, but I think becuase this is factory assembled lower its been dot punched. Might order a new nut and just drill it out.

A picture of the staking will help
    northdude likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Your castle nut has been staked well by the sounds of it. Don't use mag vice to undo it... I think what @northdude meant was an upper vice block to hold it firmly in place - Like this one.

Is it imperative that you install a sling plate? Personally i'd leave it in place. What about QD sling attachments on your stock?
    northdude and Tommy like this.

Mike is staked like yours Brennos, but I've not tried to undo it. They're torqued up quite tight though... it seems common to go to 40 ft lbs from what Ive seen online.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Your castle nut has been staked well by the sounds of it. Don't use mag vice to undo it... I think what @northdude meant was an upper vice block to hold it firmly in place - Like this one.

Is it imperative that you install a sling plate? Personally i'd leave it in place. What about QD sling attachments on your stock?
    Not imperative, but would be nice at some stage. I've got that exact block, but it doesn't hold the upper and lower, just upper. I'll probably just leave it, and if I ever need to take the tube off I will put it on then

Some blocks can hold both but most only hold upper in place which is useless for you. What sort of sling are you wanting to use?

QD one.

I run a MS4 QD, very nice. One QD cup in the stock and the other mid rail works great as a two-point sling.

Yeah, that's what I have, I have a M-lok to Qd on the handguard, and the Armaworx stock has a qd in the side. Its not that comfortable, but I guess I need to play with the forend QD, have you got yours in the side or the bottom? I figured If i had the one at the base of the stock worst case I could single point it if its getting annoying. but would prefer 2 point.