Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ar15 scope and rings recommendations?

Ar15 scope and rings recommendations?

Have just purchased a new Rock River Arms ATH carbine and am trying to decide what scope and ring package to get for it
    the rifle will be used for some varminting and pest control and target duties as well as general hunting for mainly fallow and goats etc and the odd pig.

Budget is around $800 all up could be more or less just want to get it right the first time so any advice is appreciated, been looking at 1-4 or 1-5 power in Burris, Vortex and Leupold and also the vortex viper 2.5-10x44

Thanks

You could try the burris PEPR mount from nzar15, i have the non quick release one and like it can still remove it in a hurry if needed with a 1/2'' socket on a 1/4'' drive.
    Would leave you plenty to spend on glass, im running a VX1 with LR duplex.

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    Have just purchased a new Rock River Arms ATH carbine and am trying to decide what scope and ring package to get for it
    the rifle will be used for some varminting and pest control and target duties as well as general hunting for mainly fallow and goats etc and the odd pig.

Budget is around $800 all up could be more or less just want to get it right the first time so any advice is appreciated, been looking at 1-4 or 1-5 power in Burris, Vortex and Leupold and also the vortex viper 2.5-10x44

Thanks
    Forget the 1-4 if you want to do some target shooting. Just not enough magnification (good for Zombies though!). The Vortex 2.5-44 is one of the scopes I've been looking at on Opticzone too.
    I'll be using my spare VX2 3-9x40 on mine in the interim, until I get something around with a top end x14 magnification.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I went for a rifle scope for mine, vx3 2.5-8x32 after trying a 1-4x20
    Low power scopes are fine up close but I wanted to easily shoot 200m which I couldn't.

My ar is a hunting gun so i put a hunting scope on it. Cantilever scope mounts are great for getting the right height for the scope. I went rra because they work and are cheep.

Thanks guys yeah the vx3 2.5-8x32 was another i was looking at as i have the 1.75-6-32 on my kimber bush rifle and love it thinking the vortex viper pst might be the go or a vx3

Service rifle shooters run 4 power up to 600y in their ARs, open class sky is the limit. PEPR mount is the go though for the ATH.

Iv also seen people shoot with irons out that far too, dosent mean I can or want to

Name:  Scope.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  153.0 KB

See if you can get one of these. Heres the detail but I did not buy it from these theives..

Burris AR-332 3X32 Prism Sight Matte

I bought it off a mate who got reloaders to bring it in . Made specifically for the AR. Red Green or no illumination.

Its awesome... Fast target acquisition I have a QR Mount coming for it so this for the deer goats etc and I use a VX3 4.5x14 - 40 on a QR PEPR Mount for night shooting and varmint shooting.
    Last edited by Happy; 29-01-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Poor mans ACOG. I'm thinking of getting the 3x one for the M4 and a 5x for my A3 build. Pity they don't make a 4x with a Donut or TA31 type reticle, but the Trijicon would probably sue the fuck out of them.

Ive not had a play with an ACOG but for the dollars they would have to be pretty good.

I just borrowed this fitted it it worked and is reliable etc etc so why bother changing it ...
    Then I bought it.
    Have you tried one of these at all Beavis or had a look through?. They are actually pretty good Burris would not be my choice for
    a hunting scope for a long rifle but for the AR its perfect. ... You look through it pull the trigger and stuff falls over .. Thats the main thing ..

CAMO WSM Did actually say his budget around $800.00 for around that money these have to be considered ...
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

leupold IMS mount with a 2-7x33 leupold, changed from a PEPR and a weaver 1.5-4.5 due to weight and extra magnification, a lot better for me which is 80% target and 20% hunting
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

If anything i want more magnification, I will probably end up putting my 3.5-10 vx3(this scope would be perfect if it were a LR duplex) or 3-9x40LR vx1 on just because i cant leave things alone even when they are just fine

I do still want more magnification tho like a 4-14 or something. but then Ill ask too much from the pissy little 223 and not stalk closer, and set myself up for injured animals

2.5-8 is mint for out to around 200m really quickly and confortably which so is the 223, so it fits. also it is a nice light scope so it really adds to the AR and dosnt make it overweight or top heavy
    ebf likes this.

Possumtrapper on sport shooter, a mate of mine, runs an IOR MP8 4-16x44 on his carbine. It looks like he whacked the hubble telescope on his rifle but he is deadly with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Ive not had a play with an ACOG but for the dollars they would have to be pretty good.

I just borrowed this fitted it it worked and is reliable etc etc so why bother changing it ...
    Then I bought it.
    Have you tried one of these at all Beavis or had a look through?. They are actually pretty good Burris would not be my choice for
    a hunting scope for a long rifle but for the AR its perfect. ... You look through it pull the trigger and stuff falls over .. Thats the main thing ..

CAMO WSM Did actually say his budget around $800.00 for around that money these have to be considered ...
    Na I haven't had hands on. Have used ACOG's though, they are cool but I reckon they are $rape for what they are. You're paying enough coin for a really decent LR scope and getting a 4x sight with limited versatility. Battle proven I guess but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Possumtrapper on sport shooter, a mate of mine, runs an IOR MP8 4-16x44 on his carbine. It looks like he whacked the hubble telescope on his rifle but he is deadly with it.
    yea a mate has a 3-9x50 on his and it looks huge next to my 2.5-8x33

bet its alot heavier too