Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ar15, should i buy now, or wait?

Ar15, should i buy now, or wait?

Thinking about getting into an AR15, dont have E-cat and dont really want it.

Realistically only looking at 2nd hand options, or if i don buy new it will be a NEA.

Should i buy one of the many on trademe for around 1800 now and put a thumbhole stock on it or wait for a few months and hope the market gets flooded with people selling and buy then??

Theories and suggestions welcomed

For what its worth I'm going to wait to see if they do flood the market and maybe pick up a bargin. If not I can't imagine the price of them going up so its a win win.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

yeah, i have been offered a nice rifle for a very good price, its a hard call to make but i think i agree with your reasoning, i hardly think they would increase in price

bas
    If you see one that appeals to you I'd recommend that you buy it now.

I personally don't think there will be a drop in their price as very little has changed. What will happen is that those who are aware of the changes and want to keep their AR-15s will spend the money on a new stock. A lot won't be aware and carry on as normal while some will knowingly choose to ignore the rules completely. I expect only a select few will bother to get an E endorsement to keep their free standing pistol grips.

In essence we have gone back to the situation as it was before the whole thumbhole fiasco with the notable exception that the gates were opened on the importation of AR-15s in A-cat configuration and the price has dropped from $5,000 for a rifle to $2,000. If imports are once again halted, you can expect the prices to raise, which is something to keep in mind.

thanks for that and very good points, i would assume the people inhigh places will want to crack down on importing AR's eventually.

Looking at a stock, wouldnt it be a simple way to smack a bit of plastic between grip and A2 stock, make the join nice, spray paint it and bang you have a thumbhole??

Better than paying 399 for one form guncity or serious shooters

bas
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    thanks for that and very good points, i would assume the people inhigh places will want to crack down on importing AR's eventually.
    Given police actions on the matter over the last 25 years I believe it to be a certainty. I would dearly love to be proven wrong though.

Looking at a stock, wouldnt it be a simple way to smack a bit of plastic between grip and A2 stock, make the join nice, spray paint it and bang you have a thumbhole??

Better than paying 399 for one form guncity or serious shooters
    The police are actively discouraging that sort of arrangement, I would also look to what other suppliers (like NZAR15.com) are planning to import. I think you'll see a number of options appear in the next six months or so. Also remember that the police are on record as saying there will be a public education campaign with a six month grace period for people to sort out what they want to do.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    For what its worth I'm going to wait to see if they do flood the market and maybe pick up a bargin. If not I can't imagine the price of them going up so its a win win.
    Your onto it Josh

I'm waiting in anticipation too!

Don't need a flood of rifles on the market .... just need one

Cheers
    Pete

Buy what you want whenever, digit is working on a cheaper and better stock design than GC, the law change might temporarily slow the import of complete guns, but it won't stop it and when there is a good supply of thumb hole stocks it will be business as usual.

The only thing to consider for pricing is how easy it will be to import guns after December 11 in decent quantities.

The law change is going to stop those that were previously importing guns such as the Remington, Wyndham, Ruger SR etc because these guns will no longer be A-Cat. I doubt those manufacturers can be bothered with the size of the NZ market to source a thumbhole stock or even provide a gun without stock and grip to be imported.

Brands like NEA and Norinco will still come in though as these manufacturers are represented in New Zealand and can be custom specified.

Also parts like the Pistol Grip will potentially require an endorsement to import. Even a fixed length AR stock could require an endorsement to import as an AR with a fixed length stock would require a pistol grip to be functional.

In regards to thumbholes we have a very nice stock under development that we think will be the number 1 choice for those that are wanting to stay A Cat.

Thanks digit, thumbhole stock sounds interesting, my main concern at the moment with the thumbhole stocks available now is they look ugly as hell.

Right now i have to factor in that even if i could by a ar for $1600 2nd hand i would still need to spend 399 for a thumbhole stock when i might as well just of bought a new NEA with a thumbhole stock for similiar money (if the current prices stay the same)

Right now i have to factor in that even if i could by a ar for $1600 2nd hand i would still need to spend 399 for a thumbhole stock when i might as well just of bought a new NEA with a thumbhole stock for similiar money (if the current prices stay the same)
    That thinking goes through my mind each week. Then I think Rushy will cave in sooner or later and purchase, then I'll just borrow his

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    That thinking goes through my mind each week. Then I think Rushy will cave in sooner or later and purchase, then I'll just borrow his
    Ha ha ha ha so that is your game plan Barefoot. Might just work.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Our thumb hole should be priced around $220

I thought the known is way better then the unknown so I brought
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Digit View Post
    The only thing to consider for pricing is how easy it will be to import guns after December 11 in decent quantities.

The law change is going to stop those that were previously importing guns such as the Remington, Wyndham, Ruger SR etc because these guns will no longer be A-Cat. I doubt those manufacturers can be bothered with the size of the NZ market to source a thumbhole stock or even provide a gun without stock and grip to be imported.

Brands like NEA and Norinco will still come in though as these manufacturers are represented in New Zealand and can be custom specified.

Also parts like the Pistol Grip will potentially require an endorsement to import. Even a fixed length AR stock could require an endorsement to import as an AR with a fixed length stock would require a pistol grip to be functional.

In regards to thumbholes we have a very nice stock under development that we think will be the number 1 choice for those that are wanting to stay A Cat.
    Pic of the prototype please, i they are "aesthetically pleasing" I am going to need 3 + all my mate who brought ARs are looking too. Best looking one I have found So far was over 600 notes per throw. But does not look crap either

This is the best looking one i have found so far. NZ made
    Name:  AR15 Stronghold.JPG
Views: 40622
Size:  49.8 KB
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.