Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gimp
  • 1 Post By jakesae101

Thread: AR15, what is the minimum $s for a decent make (ducks from slag fest) and what makes?

AR15, what is the minimum $s for a decent make (ducks from slag fest) and what makes?

are worth looking at and what makes to avoid. Im not in the Bushmaster category, more like a windham, to pop away at service rifle sort of thing. There do seem to be some NZ makers, I'd rather buy these if I can.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    are worth looking at and what makes to avoid. Im not in the Bushmaster category, more like a windham, to pop away at service rifle sort of thing. There do seem to be some NZ makers, I'd rather buy these if I can.
    Dan Hardy makes AR15 rifles. He would be the one if you want nz made.

AR-15 - Manufacturers of Supressors, Rifles & Barrels - New Zealand

Good quality weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    Dan Hardy makes AR15 rifles. He would be the one if you want nz made.

AR-15 - Manufacturers of Supressors, Rifles & Barrels - New Zealand

Good quality weapons.
    These look like a nice bit of kit - any first hand experience with one?

Most are fine for NZ use. An NEA would suit the needs of most. Has a good barrel and decent handguard design. Only thing to watch out for is to make sure the gas key is nicely staked. I didn't think the gen 1's were much chop, but the gen 3's look alot better fit and finish wise.

If buying American, I gravitate towards Colt, BCM etc . RRA make nice but poorly thought out guns. The handguards are terrible. Windham are nice guns. I would personally avoid DPMS and Bushmaster. Their reputation for quality has been patchy for years, seems to be a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Most are fine for NZ use. An NEA would suit the needs of most. Has a good barrel and decent handguard design. Only thing to watch out for is to make sure the gas key is nicely staked. I didn't think the gen 1's were much chop, but the gen 3's look alot better fit and finish wise.

If buying American, I gravitate towards Colt, BCM etc . RRA make nice but poorly thought out guns. The handguards are terrible. Windham are nice guns. I would personally avoid DPMS and Bushmaster. Their reputation for quality has been patchy for years, seems to be a gamble.
    I have seen DPMS rifles sell for about $2200 and I even got offered a brand new one for $1800. Just a shame I had no money to buy it.

Not really a shame
    jim160 and Banana like this.

Every time these come up I recommend the NEA for value and performance, they really do make a good rifle even at $3k id be happy with it so at $2k its a bloody ripper!.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Not really a shame
    True. Have decided to pass on one for a year or so and concentrate on long range shooting.
    Never really liked ar15s that much anyway, just thought of getting one as it was cheap. just plastic rifles really.

Colt's seem out of my price range, unless Iv missed something they are $3k and up.

Windham or similar at 2k seem affordable and enough to spend.

thanks for the feedback.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Having shot colts , rra ,dpms and others i decided to get a nea the other week and it shot sub moa out of the box stock everything . Digit set me up with rifle scope and mount for 2k no shabby at all fit and finish is great much better than a gun city one . The NEA also has a lifetime barrel warranty
    EK9132 likes this.

Happy with my Windham, only downside is that the flash hider is removed and rifle is arrives with bare thread, no protector or anything.