Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree34Likes
  • 11 Post By bluebaiter222
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 4 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 3 Post By Tedz50
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 7 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By Woody
  • 3 Post By bluebaiter222
  • 2 Post By TLB
  • 1 Post By Dama dama

Thread: Au Revoir Richard Wihelm

Exclamation Au Revoir Richard Wihelm

Today received the email notification that Richard Wihelm has decided to call time on his business effective 31 March.Bloody sad news.He will be certainly missed on the Chch retail scene after so many decades of Stirling service.The man simply oozed integrity and plain old fashion honesty.Prior to the quake munting his Colombo Street premises, he would have to have been the last of the mohicans -wearing a collar and tie to work daily.Fleecing customers wasn't his style.A very quiet humble battler making on honest wage.He always got my discretionary dollar rather than the nebulous Gun Shop in the City.Currently flogging off the last of his stock so go online and help him out.No doubt the politburo will be toasting with a Chardonnay the exiting of another player in the NZ firearms scene on April Fool's Day.Enjoy your retirement Richard

yup a true Gent, hope he enjoys his retirement.....We spent some time discussing it last time I picked up some goodies from him.
    timattalon likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I found him to be a grumpy old C**t in my limited dealings with him
    Nathan F, norsk, csmiffy and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    Today received the email notification that Richard Wihelm has decided to call time on his business effective 31 March.Bloody sad news.He will be certainly missed on the Chch retail scene after so many decades of Stirling service.The man simply oozed integrity and plain old fashion honesty.Prior to the quake munting his Colombo Street premises, he would have to have been the last of the mohicans -wearing a collar and tie to work daily.Fleecing customers wasn't his style.A very quiet humble battler making on honest wage.He always got my discretionary dollar rather than the nebulous Gun Shop in the City.Currently flogging off the last of his stock so go online and help him out.No doubt the politburo will be toasting with a Chardonnay the exiting of another player in the NZ firearms scene on April Fool's Day.Enjoy your retirement Richard
    A true assessment of a gentleman of the old school. I have passed many dollars across his counter with never once a regret,and I will miss him but hope he has a long retirement.All the best Richard and Sue.
    tetawa, Woody and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Yup i heard he could be that. Very knowledgeable but time was also money and could be quite abrupt about that.
    Old shooting mate (bit older than me) told me one of his comments years ago was about the word justify.
    Mate said he couldn't justify the "add appropriate scope model here". Richard said, "you mean afford".
    Was the gundoc of scopes in the south island at least.
    One of the things he supposedly used to do back in the days when he retailed scopes was when approached by a rep about the next best scope, he would request one for testing and pull it to bits to see how well it was built. Then depending on that he would make the call wether he sold it or not.
    Going to lose a lot of that knowledge although hasn't really been doing that for a while.
    Got 3 scopes from him back in the day
    Micky Duck likes this.

I got to know Richard when we were both teenagers in the Canterbury NZDA. His father was in the trade then in a sports shop in New Regent Street We have done a lot of reciprocal business over the years to our mutual satisfaction. He is an honest and knowledgeable man and has provided good service to shooters for many years, and a whiz on optical repairs to boot. Enjoy your retirement old mate!
    tetawa, Husky1600, Woody and 4 others like this.

Yes. A big loss but I wish him well.
    Borris likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I benefitted from my handful of dealings with him.

Retirement is an issue front and centre of my radar screen...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Richard was very old school forthright and wouldn't suffer fool's.Two qualities I admire.Could be said to ruffle teachers if you were a snowflake
    mikee, Tedz50 and Borris like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I bought my chronograph from him nearly 30 years ago. Still got it and still working perfectly!

kw
    Worked across the road from him, found him abrupt, but he sure new his optics.

TLB
    Sad to see yet another small company go! The knowledge base that many of these smaller outfit have certainly surpass that of many of the larger outfits.
    Tedz50 and Borris like this.

Had a few dealings with him and many discussions, great knowledgeable guy but you needed to keep all your ducks in a row.

I was of the Lincoln Uni Hunting club in the mid 90's. I remember picking up a spotting scope we bought with Grant we received. Richard gave me a lecture on looking after optics properly. I was a bit taken aback, but have followed his advice ever since. Enjoy retirement Richard.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    I bought my Swarovski Habicht binos and Leica rangefinder off him 20 and 18 years and ago still use them both today. I liked his no BS, direct approach. The binos will be going back to Swarovski this year for a birthday.