Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Baikal IZH 18 MH

I'm looking at one of these for a small, light, inexpensive centre fire that I can take on motorcycle trips.

Does anyone have one of these? What's it like for the price?
    How hard is it to take it apart?
    Any problems running steel case ammo?

Cheers, Sylvester.

got one in 7.62x39 only feed it barnaul steel case.To take apart the forewood needs to be removed .its not really a take down rifle. They are better than a rossi, certainly price wise but calibre range is limited. Pig hunters use them so they can withstand a bit of punishment.

yes they are take apart the same as a shotgun......only issue is to protect scope if you aren't going to use iron sights. we stuck a base over the dovetails to take it up to larger weaver rings and it sorted out small error we had with dove tails. shoots well enough and a joy to carry. ours in x39mm but I also own one in .12ga and in .410 so have used them a fair bit. very safe to carry if you use uncocked,and just a small squeeze gets them ready to go.
    couldn't recommend them more.

I have had two in 222,small? Yes. Inexpensive? Yes. Light? No. First one was wood,now plarstic,not quite so hansom
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

They are good reliable work horse's, only bad thing is the trigger hard and alot of creep.

Very heavy rifles...but great value for money. I've got one in 7.62x39 and it's a solid workhorse...not that I use it much these days.

Kj

Part of the reason for the weight is even though the rifle is only 1000mm long it still has a 24 inch barrel (600mm) If you knock it back to 18 or 20 inches, it is still long enough to be legal and it still drops a reasonable bit of eight off the end. For bush or close work a 1x magnification short scope or a red dot can be mounted that does not hang off the back. We have built up a back pack suppressed one in 7.62x39 for a customer and the picture below says it all....

Rifle is around the $400 mark new (wooden stock)
    Suppressor is a Gunworks (not the spartan but he next one up) $400

Just to give you an indication of what it would be if you wanted something similar. We only have 7.62x39 or 223 left.

There are other options out there but the Baikal will be very competitive with anything with rifles up to twice the price.