Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By mudgripz

Thread: Bedding a Marlin model 60

Bedding a Marlin model 60

Anyone done this before?have recently bought one and stripped the stock and oiled it up,looks really nice,thinking about free floating the barrel and bedding the rear of the action,first inch of the barrel and the front action screw .,she shoots pretty well now with subsonics at an inch for 3 shots ,not tried faster Bullets yet as want to use mostly quiet ammo due to horses near where I hunt and sight in,she cycles the CCI like a champ and will shoot Winchester well but the flat profile bullet causes the od hang up.is it worth the hassle,make her shoot even better?any advice appreciated.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Anyone done this before?have recently bought one and stripped the stock and oiled it up,looks really nice,thinking about free floating the barrel and bedding the rear of the action,first inch of the barrel and the front action screw .,she shoots pretty well now with subsonics at an inch for 3 shots ,not tried faster Bullets yet as want to use mostly quiet ammo due to horses near where I hunt and sight in,she cycles the CCI like a champ and will shoot Winchester well but the flat profile bullet causes the od hang up.is it worth the hassle,make her shoot even better?any advice appreciated.
    Have you done the trigger mod?
    Might make more of a difference than any bedding could do in that style of rifle.

My mod60 isint bedded and the inletting isint that flash but it shoots bloody well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Trigger isn’t to bad,also have a 795 that I put a mccarbo trigger spring set into but I think it’s a bit light.

Neither of my Marlins would feed the winchester hp reliably. Let us know how you go if you do decide to bed it

Having experimented with bedding and floating a variety of 22 makes I would not bother trying this on your model 60. Results were random with bedding for myself and gunsmith mate - sometimes improved, sometimes not. And with floating barrels we found some 22s actually shoot better with barrel pressure. Best thing to do is experiment with ammo types off the bench to see make what it cycles well and shoots most accurately. For the 60 microgroove barrel this is likely to be all things CCI - standard solids, subs and minimag HV. Occasionally Winchester powerpoint HV.

To sharpen your performance you can certainly try grub screw mod on trigger, or install a Mcarbo trigger kit, and experiment with different torque pressures on front bedding screw.

Marlin model 60s extremely accurate for basic semiauto. Of about a dozen marlin semis of different types I've had - models 60, 75, 795, 990, 7000 etc I found all very sharp off bench. All well under 1" groups (5 shots) at 50m, and almost all capable of sub 0.5". Best standard barrel sporter 22 I've tested off bench was a 1998 Marlin 60 which averaged 0.29" at 50m for four consecutive 5 shot groups, and second to that was another 60 averaging 0.39" That's exceptional - and well ahead of better 'name' rifles.

I wouldn't bother with the floating - save the Devcon for a centrefire.
    madjon_, gadgetman, R93 and 1 others like this.

Thanks for that just saved me a lot of time and effort,gonna google the grub screw mod and see how I go.