Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: believe it or not?

believe it or not?

Following on from the 30mm scope tube and light transmission discusion what other myths /wives tales are floating around?

Heres one to start off the discussion:

If you shorten your barrel you can regain the lost velocity by changing to a powder with a faster burn rate.... fact or fiction?
    Gibo likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Following on from the 30mm scope tube and light transmission discusion what other myths /wives tales are floating around?

If you shorten your barrel you can regain the lost velocity by changing to a powder with a faster burn rate.... fact or fiction?
    I need to know this
    Toby likes this.

Firearm manufactures all over the world spend mega dollars on engineers and their reports before they build a rifle and yet there are DIY's who attack these rifles with hacksaws at every opportunity because they know best.
    P38 likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Firearm manufactures all over the world spend mega dollars on engineers and their reports before they build a rifle and yet there are DIY's who attack these rifles with hacksaws at every opportunity because they know best.
    Yup Spook. I could never figure it out either. Every one of my firearms is exactly as the manufacturer built it and although I can't explain it, for some reason they seem to work.
    P38, 7mmsaum, Bryan and 1 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

res
    In my mind barrel lengths on most hunting rifles are dictated by custom as much as anything else,and them factory ammo is built around that length barrel.

Eg my main hunting rifle is a browning blr takedown in .308 and it had a 20" barrel-it now has a 15" barrel and with reloads and a suppresser I'm getting a few fps more than I did with factory ammo.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post

Negligible imo

Play with quickload and the fastest load with a 12 inch barrel will still be the fastest from a 24 inch
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    In my mind barrel lengths on most hunting rifles are dictated by custom as much as anything else,and them factory ammo is built around that length barrel.

Eg my main hunting rifle is a browning blr takedown in .308 and it had a 20" barrel-it now has a 15" barrel and with reloads and a suppresser I'm getting a few fps more than I did with factory ammo.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Negligible imo
    Yes you can fiddle around the edges a bit but best velocity burn rate is dictated by the chamber bullet relationship, barrel length is mostly irrelevant.
    Often see the " chop it and get the speed back with a faster powder" quoted though.

Could be other reasons to use a slightly faster burn though like reduced muzzle flash?
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Yup Spook. I could never figure it out either. Every one of my firearms is exactly as the manufacturer built it and although I can't explain it, for some reason they seem to work.
    Yes, well, they will all perform better if you were to cut a piece off the end...or weld a piece on.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

If it were the case Im sure all the competitive shooters would have the shortest barrel they could for stiffness less leverage on action etc
    But they don't seem to.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If it were the case Im sure all the competitive shooters would have the shortest barrel they could for stiffness less leverage on action etc
    But they don't seem to.

Funny thing, my target rifle has a short barrel with a tube extending out past it to extend the sight radius. It's a factory anschutz set up so hardly a buba job
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Funny thing, my target rifle has a short barrel with a tube extending out past it to extend the sight radius. It's a factory anschutz set up so hardly a buba job
    Rimfire?

There will be an optimum length for velocity for any given cartridge.
    While i think you can get SOME speed back with faster powder in your normal big game cals your always goin to loose over factory length and optimum charge of optimum powder.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

res
    Typed a long reply but lost it

But work out the energy you need and go from there. That's my short answer
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    You need to remember that these manufacturers are there to make a profit (a big one) not neccesarily to create the best performing firearm.

I think there are improvements to be made to pretty much any off the shelf firearm.
    Toby likes this.