Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By rupert
  • 3 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By shooternz

Thread: Bergara BA13 Trigger tune

Jit

Bergara BA13 Trigger tune

I like to work out how to tune the trigger of a BA13, I'm about to acquire a 308 but recall from my last one the trigger is crisp but heavy. OK for teh 45/70 i was using but Id prefer a lighter pull for the 308.

Any ideas as there is virtually nothing on net apart from use Teflon lube?

Cheers

Gone but not forgotten
    The trigger on mine seems pretty light, at least compared to my other rifles.
    I don’t think I’ve measured the trigger pull on that rifle, if I get bored I’ll have a play later. I think the other rifles were around three pounds so should be twoish

MB
    All good on my 300BLK, but maybe I'm not that fussy.

My understanding of the BA13 is that the trigger mechanism is not independent of the action and it cannot be dismantled and put back in the, usually, obvious way. Which is why I have not had a go myself at adjusting the crisp but heavy (3 pound) pull. If you get around to doing the job could you set up a camera to record the process so that people like me can feel brave enough to have a go and not muck it up.
    Jit likes this.

ebf
    @Jit, the trigger on my 308 BA13 is the best (crisp) factory trigger I own.

I can measure the pull weight of it if you want, but would not describe it as unduly heavy. Absolutely fine as is for a hunting rifle that gets pulled through scrub etc.
    ANTSMAN, shooternz and Jit like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Following with interest- as I have a ba13 comin, after lockdown nazi party lets us.

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Oh right, it's the singleshot. Sorry, thought BA= bolt action.

More likely to be like a shotgun lock. Trigger probably on a leaf spring which you can file (a bit!) to weaken. Only way to change let-off is filing sears.
    Can be done with due care and attention, depends how confident/competent you are and if you have spares!
    Would not recommend it for a "give it a go" thing though.
    Probably on the right track there. No one seems to have a schematic. Nor has anyone posted a guide.
    I’ve heard Dean Maisey has done one.

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    @Jit, the trigger on my 308 BA13 is the best (crisp) factory trigger I own.

I can measure the pull weight of it if you want, but would not describe it as unduly heavy. Absolutely fine as is for a hunting rifle that gets pulled through scrub etc.
    I agree my old one wasn’t heavy but I’ve grown accustomed to my trigger techs. Which are liiiight. So a bit lighter and or crisper would be great.

I could put some bore polishing paste in there dry fire a few hundred times then flush the whole lot out and relube with Teflon.
    Now that’s an idea which shouldn’t have any downsides?

What do you all reckon?

ebf
    Just measured mine for interest. 1.070 kg / 2 lb 5.7 oz average. Plenty light enough for a hunting rifle IMHO.

If it is a sear as Mimms2 describes, be very careful. I had work done on a Baikal single shot, and the steel used for the sear was too soft - it wore down over time, and eventually had to be rebuilt.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Massive no. On account of the paste will be pushed out of all the places you want it, and grind all the places you don't. And there's better than odds you may not get it all out.

Dry firing/cycling a lot will "wear it in" all on it's own.

There's undoubtably youtube videos on shotgun locks, or if you're a bit more old-school you may be lucky to turn up a book at the library. But you really need your head around what you're doing, because springs, uncarefully sprung, actually travel out of the space-time you know as reality, ne'er to be found.

Further on what gnomeo says, (less likely on modern guns since good steel is cheap(er),) but parts may be case-hardened, and if you grind or file through the case, then you're into soft steel which will wear faster.

If you cant take the time or effort to do it properly, best left alone, or to someone who will.
    "actually travel out of the space-time you know as reality, ne'er to be found" I have found with considerable evidence, this to be a fact. However, it's not mentioned in current quantum theory papers. They obviously need to put some small springs under tension into the Cern reactor.

But your advice is sound.

I have one in .44 Mag the trigger is fine no creep and light enough, best way to slick them up is to shoot shit loads of ammo.
    Jit likes this.

Just checked my 308 breaks at 2.25lb crisp, factory original. Even if it was lighter there's still a relatively long lock time due to hammer fall so its not going to be a benchrest rifle... I'm certainly not tampering with mine.