Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By H.M

Thread: Bergara Safety

H.M

Bergara Safety

Have recently brought a bergara extreme hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. Awesome rifle most accurate i have ever owned...but the bolt does not lock on safe, its really bugging me as i have never owned a rifle where the bolt doesn't lock on safe, find myself having to reach and check it all the time and the odd time it has caught and slipped back. Would this bother anyone else or do i just need to get over it??? Its annoying me that much i have been considering trading it in for an x bolt or a model that locks. Cheers

ebf
    Why does it bother you ?

If you can't pull the trigger when the safety is on, I'd say it's working

The ability to open the bolt and unload the chamber without taking the rifle off safe is a BENEFIT to me...
    Dama dama, Rocco, dannyb and 1 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

H.M
    As i said above it bothers me as when i push through some scrub or bush it knocks the bolt up and it slides back. Just keen on opinions thats all. I prob shouldnt have over looked it when buying it but ddnt think it would annoy me that much. Cheers for your opinion.

That would really annoy and worry me too, bolt dropping open in wet bush and filling with water and braken sounds like a recipe for disaster. I have a Howa, a Tikka and a Sauer and they all lock shut when the safety is on. The Howa has a 3 position safety so you can have the best of both worlds. I'm with you though, pain in the arse.

B-14 doesn't either but honestly prefer it so that it can be loaded and unloaded while on safe. Very good for taking mates out. I just put my thumb on the bolt handle when moving through bush, works a treat(although a larger/more comfortable bolt knob would be the business).

I would find it a little bit annoying but not unsafe. Its not that often the bolt pulls open and you lose a live round into the undergrowth. Used to happen from time to time with the 303 on half open bolt.

The old Sako vixen safety does lock the bolt but then you have to release the safety so it's live before you can take the round out of the chamber. That is unsafe.

The new Sako 85 has a nice little button you can press to release the bolt and unload while the safety is still engaged. I would have thought that would be a standard feature most manufacturers would include to "enhance user experience" and remain competitive.

H.M
    Defiantly not “un safe” but yeah just annoying and at times frustrating, as i strap my rifle to my pack a lot and when i push past something and it drops out i have to take pack of to reset it, which involves dropping the mag or pushing round down to avoid one going up the spout. Also chance of getting crap in chamber. Cheers for the comments guys.

H.M
    Yes i could face bolt toward pack to avoid this...but sometimes i forget 🙄
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Defiantly not “un safe” but yeah just annoying and at times frustrating, as i strap my rifle to my pack a lot and when i push past something and it drops out i have to take pack of to reset it, which involves dropping the mag or pushing round down to avoid one going up the spout. Also chance of getting crap in chamber. Cheers for the comments guys.
    When you strap it to your pack with an empty chamber, do you have it cocked or uncocked? Try it uncocked if you haven't already; no disadvantage to it and the added resistance on the bolt lift due to having to cock the firing pin spring might just solve your problem.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    When you strap it to your pack with an empty chamber, do you have it cocked or uncocked? Try it uncocked if you haven't already; no disadvantage to it and the added resistance on the bolt lift due to having to cock the firing pin spring might just solve your problem.
    Yep this helps a little bit but bugger all, anyway i had a play with a few other options in the shop in w.e, think il be putting up with the safety as the bergara is still my fav rifle in that price range. Might make a wee diy clip to hold it down. Cheers for the replys guys.