Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bergara vs Baikal vs Henry

Bergara vs Baikal vs Henry

I have always fancied single shot rifles but have never been the owner of one. I have always liked Bergara's and now, having bought a Baikal MP-18MH .243 WIN Single-Shot Break-Barrel Rifle for my wife, my interest in single shot rifles has increased. Just as an aside, the Baikal is a really delightful little rifle. The dreaded, crappy trigger that Baikal's seem to be famous for isn't apparent in this one. Hell, if my Ruger 10/22 had a trigger that was equal to this Baikal I would be delighted. It would seem the technician at the Baikal factory that put the finishing touches to this rifle didn't get the memo on what the Baikal trigger standard should be.

Then, the other day, I was in a gun shop and was looking at single shot rifles and was introduced to a Henry. After an initial suspicion and spending about five minutes with it, my interest was piqued. It is a delightful looking rifle - in my eyes at least - and meets most of the criteria that I desire in a single shot rifle. I did see some issues that I wasn't impressed with, such as the sideways slop in the main hinge when broken open, but apart from that, I liked it. Doing some research on YouTube, whilst on night shift, gave it some glowing reviews, but those recommendations sometimes have to be tempered with the knowledge that there are social media influencer's out there who will say anything to gain an audience - sceptical old bastard, aren't I.

Anyway, long story short, I am looking to update my trusty old Remington 783 to a single shot .308 rifle by the end of the year and at this stage Bergara, Baikal and Henry are in my list of possibles - have discarded Rossi as even though it has some admirable qualities, it just doesn't have any real appeal to me. Oh, and the other criteria is that it can be purchased for under $1000, hence Thompson and some of the European variants aren't in the running.

Has anyone experience in Bergara, Baikal and Henry single shot rifles that they can share, to help me, and perhaps others, with their purchase decision?

Hopefully the discussion could serve others with just updating their knowledge on the aforesaid rifles for consideration in the future.

Cheers
    Phil
    jakewire likes this.

i like my single shot h&r have you had a look at those as well

Auckland, until I can escape south....to the Mainland.
    I had a Baikal in 223.
    Refinished the woodwork, polished the trigger ( which obviously you won’t need to ) and it shot really well.
    Put a Gunworks overbarrel can on it.
    It was a pleasure to shoot.
    I’d recommend them, solid as, last a lifetime.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I have always fancied single shot rifles but have never been the owner of one. I have always liked Bergara's and now, having bought a Baikal MP-18MH .243 WIN Single-Shot Break-Barrel Rifle for my wife, my interest in single shot rifles has increased. Just as an aside, the Baikal is a really delightful little rifle. The dreaded, crappy trigger that Baikal's seem to be famous for isn't apparent in this one. Hell, if my Ruger 10/22 had a trigger that was equal to this Baikal I would be delighted. It would seem the technician at the Baikal factory that put the finishing touches to this rifle didn't get the memo on what the Baikal trigger standard should be.

Then, the other day, I was in a gun shop and was looking at single shot rifles and was introduced to a Henry. After an initial suspicion and spending about five minutes with it, my interest was piqued. It is a delightful looking rifle - in my eyes at least - and meets most of the criteria that I desire in a single shot rifle. I did see some issues that I wasn't impressed with, such as the sideways slop in the main hinge when broken open, but apart from that, I liked it. Doing some research on YouTube, whilst on night shift, gave it some glowing reviews, but those recommendations sometimes have to be tempered with the knowledge that there are social media influencer's out there who will say anything to gain an audience - sceptical old bastard, aren't I.

Anyway, long story short, I am looking to update my trusty old Remington 783 to a single shot .308 rifle by the end of the year and at this stage Bergara, Baikal and Henry are in my list of possibles - have discarded Rossi as even though it has some admirable qualities, it just doesn't have any real appeal to me. Oh, and the other criteria is that it can be purchased for under $1000, hence Thompson and some of the European variants aren't in the running.

Has anyone experience in Bergara, Baikal and Henry single shot rifles that they can share, to help me, and perhaps others, with their purchase decision?

Hopefully the discussion could serve others with just updating their knowledge on the aforesaid rifles for consideration in the future.

Cheers
    Phil
    Your under $1000 also removes the likes of Ruger #1 (One of the best singles made for a very long time.....) and unfortunately the limited run of Scott Trail singles (I saw one in teh flesh at 2.3kg with a scope AND suppressor, very light but works oout at $1000 per kg....) but again it would be buy once and love it.
    dannyb likes this.

I have a baikal 7.62x39 sports a red dot and out to 150 is deadly. I had to do a little smoothing of the closure but the triggers is good. The woodwork is agricultural but for a truck or bike gun that is not going to get treated special they seem work on time every time.

Bergara are the nicest of the 3, best trigger and nicest finished. All will work though.
    Dama dama, bing and dannyb like this.

have 2 bergaras and really like them the only baikal i had was the 410 handy little shotgun but a bit agricultural.

I've had two baikal, they are ok. I had a a really good play with a bargara and really like it, would one if I needed a take-down rifle. The Henrys look nice, but never seen one in the flesh.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Ive had a play with a baikal good solid rifle it would win the agricultural award for sure

Gkp
    I like the Thomson encore. I would wait for a second hand one to come up.

martini perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    i like my single shot h&r have you had a look at those as well
    Have to say I have considered the H&R but have been at a loss to put my hands on one to really have a good look at it. Also, I thought I saw in some article from the States that they are ceasing production of the single shot.

Will still keep looking for one though.

I have the newer baikal with plastic stock in 223......awesome for $400 off the shelf and easy to break down and put in a pack

Highly recommend them......indestructible piece of kit......
    timattalon likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

You have the order correct in the thread title; Bergara #1, Baikal #2, Henry a good bit further back at #3. I have a mate with a Bergara in .308 and it shoots very well!
    Dama dama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Your under $1000 also removes the likes of Ruger #1 (One of the best singles made for a very long time.....) and unfortunately the limited run of Scott Trail singles (I saw one in teh flesh at 2.3kg with a scope AND suppressor, very light but works oout at $1000 per kg....) but again it would be buy once and love it.
    I agree with you Tim. Going over $1000 would certainly give me greater choice, but until my hunting picks up a step or two I can't justify it. That said, a venture that I am looking at in my retirement - whenever that might be - would certainly justify more cash outlay. Until either of the aforesaid scenarios come into play, I am pegged at under $1000 or something extremely close to it.

Cheers
    Phil