Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By Jaco Goosen
  • 1 Post By Philipo
  • 7 Post By Tahr

Thread: Berger 7mm 168 VLD hunter

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar

Berger 7mm 168 VLD hunter

Out of all the 7mm bullets that are currently available ( & yes theres fuk all ) seems to be a few of these around, Is it because they're very expensive or are they shit & poor killers ?

I'm after something to run in a 24" barreled 280ai so would be running @ 2750fps - 2850 ish out to 500-600max yards

I've only ever used Bergers in a 338 so "splat factor" was not an issue, Any real world experience would be appreciated cheers
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Caretaker
    For that chambering I would be happy with a 150g Nosler ballistic tip or 150g Hornady ELDX
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Their awesome only reason theirs plenty around is their was a shipment a couple of weeks ago that wasn’t as skimp as the Hornady shipment previous to that they were sold out . Their price point also keeps them on the shelf longer suites me well iv always had better results with Berger than Hornady iv used 6.5 7mm and 30cal of all weights their devastating on game you should see 2950 with out to much trouble iv ran them at 2840 and EPIC is all that come to mind I’m now just over 2900 heading for 2950-2975
    Philipo likes this.

Phillipo Ive used them for a few years to hunt in Africa, out of a 7RM and 284W. Works great, kills as good as anything else.

In the current situation 168s are percieved to be light - seems like everyone is shooting heavies. Load and shoot with confidence, you'll love them.
    Philipo likes this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    For that chambering I would be happy with a 150g Nosler ballistic tip or 150g Hornady ELDX
    Yeah that's the sort of bullet weight I was thinking of, just hard to source. I haven't got a lot of 7mm projectiles in the cupboard at the mo, have some 150 & 160 Sierra SP BT's that I'll probably try out & should be good out to 500 was just interested if Bergers will kill at low speed of do they need plenty to open up.
    7mmsaum likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Yeah that's the sort of bullet weight I was thinking of, just hard to source. I haven't got a lot of 7mm projectiles in the cupboard at the mo, have some 150 & 160 Sierra SP BT's that I'll probably try out & should be good out to 500 was just interested if Bergers will kill at low speed of do they need plenty to open up.
    Still wreaking red deer and good size pigs at 1000mtrs/1600fps theirs a bunch of federal 150s at Wilson’s but unsure which breed also a bunch of sst but 162gn

My experience with the 150 Hunter in 270wsm at 3040 fps. Ive shot about 30 deer with them. 80 to 500 yards.
    Very accurate and easy to get to shoot.
    Only seem to exit small deer so don’t leave a blood trail.
    Kill well and cause a lot of trauma.
    Probably splatter a lot of lead through the meat.

Here’s a projectile from last evening. 310 yard. Fallow spiker. High angled back of shoulder. Found bullet in flank. Thats the base at the right. No lead intact. Just jacket.Name:  2FC70FF1-ACD2-4E5B-97E3-27E4F08FA9CB.jpeg
Views: 353
Size:  3.11 MB
    Philipo, 7mmsaum, Dreamer and 4 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Have a box of 154SSTs I could spare if that’s of interest to you @Philipo