Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Best Howa mini action barrel - Blue/HB/Stainless?

Best Howa mini action barrel - Blue/HB/Stainless?

With a return to NZ on the cards in the new year, I've been looking at what is available in NZ as a good value rifle.
    As I would be located in Taranaki, it would be a goat/ scrub gun.
    I've been looking at the Howa mini options in 7.62x39 as I think it would suit my needs, while been cheap to feed.

Looking around it seems that they are available in 3 basic options

Blued standard barrel (threaded/16.5") $900
    Blued heavy barrel 16.5" (threaded) - $1000
    Stainless standard barrel 20" -(plus chop & threading) $1050

So given the above....- is the stainless really worth the extra 15% over the standard blued barrel?

Any advantage to the HB for a short range rifle that only has a 5 shot mag?

Advice (helpful or unhelpful) appreciated...

There were rumours going round at one point that the stainless actions were prone to galling, but they may have fixed this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    There were rumours going round at one point that the stainless actions were prone to galling, but they may have fixed this problem.
    We have the 7.62 x 39 stainless and had no issues with the action so far , even playing at the range. I do like to wipe the bolt and action with an oily rag just to leave a very thin oily film ( not wet to touch ) though as I do with all my rifles. Going to send it off to dpt soon to shorten barrel so overbarrel suppressor meets the stock so a easier in bush. From my research 16-18 in barrel length has little or no effect on performance with factory ammo.
    I have always been a fan of stainless simply because of extra corrosion resistance and easier maintenance.
    Friwi likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Hmmm - I've had 3 of the mini's now and they all functioned OK. The stainless one I had didn't fare well on a rough Stewart Is trip (rained the while time and the hut leaked, luckily not at the end I slept in haha), bloody thing went rusty overnight and the staining from the rust never really came out. The blued ones have quite a rough finish (I wouldn't call it a polish at all) and they'll also rust quickly but at least they don't stain once you clean them up.
    Last edited by Tentman; 02-11-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    MrMatu and Ftx325 like this.

Crap.... stainless going bad overnight? I know " stainless" doesn't mean what it used to but would have expected a few days before corrosion set in....
    Makes me feel better about always giving all my stainless rifles a wipe with oily rag inside and out at every use.
    Have you tried hitting it with metal polish to remove the stains ?

The stainless steel used in guns is shite as far as corrosion resistant steel goes. It's softer and machines better.
    Stocky likes this.

Mine has a few external brown spots that would take very little to get rid of(3m scotch pad ect)
    It's not as resistant to corrosion as my tikka and my Kimber's are in between the two
    It depends how hard they polish it as the finer finish resists better but is also more glare on a hunting rifle
    With the differences in the steel on top of that
    I like to think that at least with stainless it's not a thin coating like blued so any corrosion externally that's minor will rub away even tho it is annoying on extended hunting trips

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    The stainless steel used in guns is shite as far as corrosion resistant steel goes. It's softer and machines better.
    Yep, it's 416, not one of the 300 series. Sweat and blood love 416.

The original Ruger m77 mk2 was proper stainless. Don't think I have ever seen and corrosion whatsoever on one of those. Don't make em like they used to that's for sure.
    Bill999, Dama dama and Sika stag like this.

Some of these replies are making me rethink what maybe best for my application!

Basically what I wanted was not to worry about it rusting up if I'm caught out in the rain for a day.
    But it's sounding like developing rust is a likelyhood for all options if they where in those conditions.

I thought Howa Mini's come with a 10 round mag. The stainless looks prettier
    I'd like to verify your clam.

Mine rusts pretty easy. Nothing like my tikka which is good in the wet.

Still shoots good though.
    Last edited by Chur Bay; 02-11-2020 at 09:27 PM.
    MrMatu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopua Cowboy View Post
    I thought Howa Mini's come with a 10 round mag. The stainless looks prettier
    223/300 BO are 10 round
    7.62x39 are only 5.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatu View Post
    Some of these replies are making me rethink what maybe best for my application!

Basically what I wanted was not to worry about it rusting up if I'm caught out in the rain for a day.
    But it's sounding like developing rust is a likelyhood for all options if they where in those conditions.
    I still think stainless would be a better option as you can give it a go over with a nylon pad or metal polish if required. I think if you did that to a blued barrel you would stuff the blueing. I have seen the odd ceracoated one on TM if don't mind paying a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    The original Ruger m77 mk2 was proper stainless. Don't think I have ever seen and corrosion whatsoever on one of those. Don't make em like they used to that's for sure.
    They are like stainless benches, had an dip. Ag mat that had one that laughed when I offered to clean it for him
    Lived in a gun bag and was still fine after years of neglect