Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Best hunting LR hunting scope under $3k

Best hunting LR hunting scope under $3k

Putting the wheels in motion towards a new build and it's gonna need some glass. So what are the opinions out there for a good hunting (0-800, further on steel) scope 15x plus mag at the top end, dialable, light weight, under $3k ???
    I have narrowed it down to 3-18x44 VX6, or Z5 3-18x44 bt, I wouldn't mind trying the swaro as already have a VX6 (bloody brilliant) but the BT puts me off a bit as it limits range and has to be calibrated for certain conditions, a straight MOA or MIL dial suits me better.
    Any suggestions I may be missing out on?

Zeiss conquest v6 3-18x50 with Moa reticle. Not quite sure if they've made it to nz yet.

I've recently got a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50, beautiful to look through, just waiting for rail to be fitted and I'll be away. Can't comment on the ones listed.

MSL
    The swaro is nice but a bit limited on elevation unless you use the top of the vertical post which gives you another 10moa
    Mathias likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I've got the Z5 BT, nice scope. Limited to 1 rotation, you can take out the zero stop for more rotation but you need to be mindful of finding zero again. I'd opt for the VX6-HD with TMOA reticle when it gets here. They are about USD1700, so that would be $3k here surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Putting the wheels in motion towards a new build and it's gonna need some glass. So what are the opinions out there for a good hunting (0-800, further on steel) scope 15x plus mag at the top end, dialable, light weight, under $3k ???
    I have narrowed it down to 3-18x44 VX6, or Z5 3-18x44 bt, I wouldn't mind trying the swaro as already have a VX6 (bloody brilliant) but the BT puts me off a bit as it limits range and has to be calibrated for certain conditions, a straight MOA or MIL dial suits me better.
    You can get after market moa for the z5 but you have limited clicks think its 11.5moa total.
    Sightron S3 is only a little heavier
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Vx6 hd have had a few swaros and prefer the leupold especially with the new hd coatings and 50mm objective, the 4-24x52 would be worth a look too? Only 600 odd grams I think?
    Matt2308, Shearer and L.T like this.

If you're at Duncan's you can have a burn on on something of mine with a Z5 on. I got rid of the coloured rings and dropped a MOA ring on it. Available through NZ Ammo. I use a 200 zero on the 7RM, gets me out to 800 (?)on the drop chart.

Clicks are a bit mushy, but repeatable.

B

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    If you're at Duncan's you can have a burn on on something of mine with a Z5 on. I got rid of the coloured rings and dropped a MOA ring on it. Available through NZ Ammo. I use a 200 zero on the 7RM, gets me out to 800 (?)on the drop chart.

Clicks are a bit mushy, but repeatable.

B
    I have the z5 with a pbc on it, and can dial to 780yards with 200 yard zero, more than enough for my hunting rifle.

Just trying to make up my mind on a Night force Bench rest scope, 8-32X56. Its well priced. any negatives? I'm just LR on rabbits with a 204
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

You had a look at the bushnell elite tactical G2dmr 3.5-21x50 FFP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Z5 3x18 I just got a MOA cap for mine and it gets me to 750M or you can remove the zero stop and gain more elevation.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

any views on minox ??

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    any views on minox ??
    I've had two, za5 and a zx5

Za5 had schott glass, nice to look through but very mushy turrets. Returned it and was given a zx5. Glass didn't seem anywhere as good, however turrets were better.

Sold it and went zeiss hd5. Very happy, and wouldn't go minox again.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I have the z5 with a pbc on it, and can dial to 780yards with 200 yard zero, more than enough for my hunting rifle.
    I also have a Z5 and considering a PBC, which one did you go with? I think there are a few options outside of original... I'm pretty clueless with the PBC stuff! @MSL - I have no idea how to work the BT