Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Best place to have scope fitted in Chch?

Question Best place to have scope fitted in Chch?

Looking to get a new scope mounted onto my rifle in Chch. Want to get it done professionally so its setup at the correct eye relief, and suited for my natural position on the stock. Anyone recommend any store, otherwise will look at H&F Ballingers as its near work. From research you want to be able to settle into a natural shooting position with your eyes closed and once comfortable, open them and you should be seeing through the scope perfectly.

Any tips/recommendations are appreciated, cheers
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Its not that difficult to do it yourself. Last place I would be getting to do any firearms related stuff is Humping and Fisting! If you need a gunsmith, then try Gunworks, to Zach out Rangiora way.
    Or Rivers to Ranges in Rangiora, way more switched on that H&F.

Excuse my ignorance... I have just recently mounted a scope for the first time... but how does a professional set your sight-line/eye relief? Would you not be the most qualified person in the world for that task?

I did mine by myself and in a bit of a hurry, and it's accurate enough for now, but one day will prob redo it with a mate making the adjustments, as that was a bit of a pain.

Very keen to hear what follows!
    jakewire and jpurdon like this.
    bunji likes this.

It's straight forward to set up yourself.

Warning, the way I do it is rough but works for me. Free advise is worth what you paid for it etc. If you're planning on long range work get better advise!

Using a wee string line bubble, set the rifle level. Then hold rifle in place with gun vise, clamps, string, sellotape, whatever you've got.

Place the scope in rings and level it using the wee bubble. You may need to take the elevation cap off to find a flat spot. Start the screws to close the rings up but don't torque them up. You'll need to be able to move the scope forward or back with gentle pressure.

Unclamp the rifle, close your eyes and shoulder the rifle into firing position. Open your eyes, if you don't have sight picture slide the scope forward or back as required. (Don't be surprised if the cross hairs look off level. From experience I've noticed right handed shooters tend to tilt the rifle slightly right. As the heel of the stock tucks into the shoulder.)
    Repeat the exercise of shouldering the rifle with eyes closed then opening. Making and adjustments forward and back as required. Try really hard not to rotate the scope while doing that.

Torque the rings up and job done.

Bore sighting and then proper zeroing follows on.
    tetawa, gundoc, timattalon and 6 others like this.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

Yea thats fair, not a big fan of H&F either, just convenient and the bloke there is alright. And really just after a someone with some experience, I've done some research but its something I am keen to get right first time. Might give it a go myself and see how it sits
    Joe_90 likes this.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Must be someone on here who can help you out. It's not hard but you want to get it right so get shown once then you'll be sweet for next time.
    Joe_90 and jpurdon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpurdon View Post
    Yea thats fair, not a big fan of H&F either, just convenient and the bloke there is alright. And really just after a someone with some experience, I've done some research but its something I am keen to get right first time. Might give it a go myself and see how it sits
    Give it a go mate. Worst case is you forget to tighten something up and wonder why the rifle won't group for shit. Try to avoid that... It's embarrassing.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

Yea sweet ill give it a go myself. Will try sight it in this weekend too and see how the new setup performs
    Micky Duck, RUMPY and Joe_90 like this.

Give it a go
    Failing that speak to James at River to Ranges Rangiora or Stu at Greystone
    Happy Jack likes this.

Banned
    There is a bit to getting it right.
    First I check that the bases are aligned with the bore - centralise the scope windage but counting turns and clicks to have the adjustment at the middle. Set the scope in the mounts and it should be correct for windage when you look through the bore.
    I would be inclined to go out to Rangiora and go through the process with Jordy if you are not confident. He can put the collimator on it
    The questions about fitting the scope for aiming position etc are really answered with 'stock fit' more than scope position. Your eye will never naturally line up with the scope if the stock comb is too low. Pad the stock and customise the 'stock fit'.
    What bases and mounts are you planning to use ?
    yeah_na_missed likes this.

Good stuff @jpurdon. Keen to hear how you get on... and see if it was just me who would get it almost right, then knock it on the last little adjustment, and have to start again.

I tried to set my plumb off a doorframe across the room... but have just realised reading Joe_90's notes above, I may not have had the rifle vertical... so scope could well be plumb to the floor, but maybe not to the rifle. Will just have to remember to take one boot off when shooting...
    Last edited by yeah_na_missed; 02-06-2022 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Typo
    Micky Duck, Joe_90 and jpurdon like this.
    bunji likes this.

If the rings use torx screws go to m10/ bunnings etc and buy a matching quality screw driver eg fuller / kingtomy /kingchrome bla bla etc cost less than $ 15 generally they are t15 size . So much easier to tighten evenly and you wont regret it .
    Micky Duck likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    Good stuff @jpurdon. Keen to hear how you get on... and see if it was just me who would get it almost right, then knock it on the last little adjustment, and have to start again.

I tried to set my plumb off a doorframe across the room... but have just realised reading Joe_90's notes above, I may not have had the rifle vertical... so scope could well be plumb to the floor, but maybe not to the rifle. Will just have to remember to take one boot off when shooting...
    Normally it is possible to hold your head back from the scope and look up and down so that the crosshair appears to lay across the bore, sort of superimposed. If the scope is perfectly square with the rifle the crosshair will bisect the bore centre

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    It's straight forward to set up yourself.

Warning, the way I do it is rough but works for me. Free advise is worth what you paid for it etc. If you're planning on long range work get better advise!

Using a wee string line bubble, set the rifle level. Then hold rifle in place with gun vise, clamps, string, sellotape, whatever you've got.

Place the scope in rings and level it using the wee bubble. You may need to take the elevation cap off to find a flat spot. Start the screws to close the rings up but don't torque them up. You'll need to be able to move the scope forward or back with gentle pressure.

Unclamp the rifle, close your eyes and shoulder the rifle into firing position. Open your eyes, if you don't have sight picture slide the scope forward or back as required. (Don't be surprised if the cross hairs look off level. From experience I've noticed right handed shooters tend to tilt the rifle slightly right. As the heel of the stock tucks into the shoulder.)
    Repeat the exercise of shouldering the rifle with eyes closed then opening. Making and adjustments forward and back as required. Try really hard not to rotate the scope while doing that.

Torque the rings up and job done.

Bore sighting and then proper zeroing follows on.
    That is pretty much the same way as a custom-fitted professional job is done. It can't be done properly unless the shooter is present to ensure correct eye relief.
    dannyb and caberslash like this.

MB
    If you're OCD like me, buy a scope levelling kit. It's amazing how tightening one bolt, even a little can throw scope orientation. A scope levelling kit will help you sleep at night.
    20 Bore likes this.