Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: best scope and red dot for ar15 recommended?

best scope and red dot for ar15 recommended?

hi new to ar15. just want the best scope and red dot combo out there. i want a scope for long range 300 yard shoot and a red dot for closer range

2 choice so far. 1 is acog ta02

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon...dot-sight.html

pair up with an magpul iron sight

http://www.opticsplanet.com/magpul-m...ght-gen-2.html

bit pricy. has anyone have any experience with the acog?

my other choice would be an xsight from atn 5x18. which is an digital scope with night vision features can use both day and night. pair with an eotech holo sight mount at 45 degree angle.

i know they not as tactical as the acog. but the night vision option really attract me. be able to shoot at night. plus half price than acog.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/atn-x-si...ope-5-18x.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/eotech-t...ible-xps3.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/warne-45...t-adapter.html

i.m quit new to ar. please all you expert out there give me some advice which set up would be more suitable for me.i want the most tactical set up. my budget for optic is around 3000 nz max. if there are any other option like the aimpoint with magnifier could also consider. thanks

I know of an Eotech HHSII (exps2-2 with g33sts magnifier)for sale

Holographic Hybrid Sight II

PM for sellers details

Wow, thats a good budget
    Why dont you look at things like:
    Vortex Optics - Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 VMR-2<br />(MOA)
    Leupold Optics Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS M5B1 Front Focal - | Leupold Optics
    U.S. OPTICS - Optics
    1-4X24 NXS Compact Riflescope | Nightforce Optics, Inc.
    etc...

dont forget the mount!

or cheaper alternatives...
    Leupold Optics VX
    Weaver - Tactical Weapons - Super Slam Scopes

i ended up with the Vortex PST, as it had good reviews and was reasonable priced...
    Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ (MOA)<br />Tactical
    Here it is on my Spikes...
    Name:  20141122_162037.jpg
Views: 6649
Size:  737.6 KB

Weird, posted twice...

Stop saying tactical!
    Kscott and dirtyhabit like this.

It's a cool meaningless term. What do you want it *for*? Hunting? competitions of whatever variety? etc?

I am currently using a TA01 ACOG on my 12.5" gun for a lightweight setup

Another good place to buy from are these guys.
    Webyshops | Your Personal Gear Outfitter: Hunting Shooting Camping & More

Normally get the goods about 3-4 days later and prices are good.

It really does depend on what you want the sight for.
    One of my favourite red dots at the moment is the Vortex Spark 2. I have one on one of my Ar15 and another on a Ruger SR22 rifle.
    VORTEX SPARC II Red Dot Sight, 2 MOA Bright Red Dot Reticle (SPC-402)
    Very well priced small red dot with great features.

I am just trying out one of these at the moment. Nice glass for the price.
    HI-LUX CMR 1-4x24 Scope, Red Illuminated CMR, 1 MOA Center Dot (CMR14X24-R)

If price was not an issue, as one of the guys said above, this is the sight I would have.
    VORTEX Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 Riflescope JM-1 BDC Reticle (RZR-16003)

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    It's a cool meaningless term. What do you want it *for*? Hunting? competitions of whatever variety? etc?

I am currently using a TA01 ACOG on my 12.5" gun for a lightweight setup

hi there is the acog easy to use in closer range like 50 yard? have you pair up with an red dot for closer range shooting? is it better mount them on the 45 degree angle? i.m going to buy the battery version as the trinum version they will not ship to nz.

yeah it's easy to use, that goat was shot at like 6 meters, not as fast as a red dot but not relevant for what I wanted at the time really

I have a 1/4x Elcan I use also

I don't like gamer shit like 45° mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Another good place to buy from are these guys.
    Webyshops | Your Personal Gear Outfitter: Hunting Shooting Camping & More

Normally get the goods about 3-4 days later and prices are good.

It really does depend on what you want the sight for.
    One of my favourite red dots at the moment is the Vortex Spark 2. I have one on one of my Ar15 and another on a Ruger SR22 rifle.
    VORTEX SPARC II Red Dot Sight, 2 MOA Bright Red Dot Reticle (SPC-402)
    Very well priced small red dot with great features.

I am just trying out one of these at the moment. Nice glass for the price.
    HI-LUX CMR 1-4x24 Scope, Red Illuminated CMR, 1 MOA Center Dot (CMR14X24-R)

If price was not an issue, as one of the guys said above, this is the sight I would have.
    VORTEX Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 Riflescope JM-1 BDC Reticle (RZR-16003)
    non of them have night vision features. the atn xsight they say on web can use both day and night. but they are digital scope. haven.t seen any actual review of that product. 1-6 scope is quit clear in close range? i had tac30 on my m1a it was very good. just want try something different for the ar

could it work like mount an rmr doctor red dot on top of the acog ? i seen some people done it. can it hold zero from the high mount? i think i will go with the acog. they quit expensive but really worth it. can you still use them at low light conditions when it.s quit dark? just decide between the acog and atn xsight which can use day and night as they claimed. but x sight very heavy weight like 1.3 kg ATN X-Sight 5-18x - Best Digital Rifle Scope for Hunting

Eotechs are a very large optic, I would never recommend putting them on a 45° mount.

ACOGs are great. You can use them in low light. They are not an image intensifier and will only be a dot/chevron/donut at night glowing in the dark. Just get the ACOG to start, you can add an RMR later if you feel the need. I personally didn't like them mounted on top, found them too high.

If you really want a 45° sight, start with irons. Magpul just released some.

I think for what you are wanting to do, get a variable scope. 1-4 or 1 - 6. Vortex has several options or if you have the coin, the Trijicon VCOG is a great option.

Before you buy, try them out if you can. No point spending all your money on something that isn't what you thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    Eotechs are a very large optic, I would never recommend putting them on a 45° mount.

ACOGs are great. You can use them in low light. They are not an image intensifier and will only be a dot/chevron/donut at night glowing in the dark. Just get the ACOG to start, you can add an RMR later if you feel the need. I personally didn't like them mounted on top, found them too high.

If you really want a 45° sight, start with irons. Magpul just released some.

I think for what you are wanting to do, get a variable scope. 1-4 or 1 - 6. Vortex has several options or if you have the coin, the Trijicon VCOG is a great option.

Before you buy, try them out if you can. No point spending all your money on something that isn't what you thought it would be.
    thanks for the advice. i think the scope and red dot offset combo.would be great choice for me. can i mount other brand of red dot like aimpoint t1 instead of rmr? is there any other scope + red dot combo you recommend? thanks

Im using a Leupold 1.25-4x20 VXR with Firedot. Have found it perfect for close fast shots and also pretty good for longer shots at 4x...
    Theres a Hog version on TM at the moment for pretty fair money...

res
    Unless your expecting very close snap shots when your set up for long range I don't see the need for two price on a rifle for most people.

A good (and at your budget there are a lot to chose from) 1-? Scope with an illuminated retical will do both jobs.

I personally find my servoski z6i 1-6 with a circle dote retical the best AR scope I have used.

I would never buy another 4x ACOG as the eye box sucks but the 3.5x are a lot better.
    I also am not a fan of putting a red dot of any sort above the main optic-if you must run two optics I recommend a 45 mount. I have run a rmr in both positions.
    Koshogi likes this.
    Using Tapatalk