Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tetawa
  • 2 Post By 6x47
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 1 Post By 10-Ring

Thread: Best US website for binos?

Best US website for binos?

So yesterday I had a look through a set or leupold bx-2 Acadia binos, seems most nz stores have them for $500. Ive seen them at bass pro for $250 us, so that makes them around $350 nz. I have a friend in the states that can send them to me as a "gift" to avoid customs. Just chasing some other us websites to have a look at before I commit to a pair.

Also how do the warranties work once they're landed here.

Cheers.
    All I want to do is to turn deer, into poop.

They still go thru customs plus the freight charge is added to the value, think that once you hit $400nz GST gets added. Most NZ wholesalers won't honour warranties from overseas purchases. So do your sums on the actual saving from a overseas purchase.
    chainsaw likes this.

Even for a gift? I didnt think they added gst for gifts. Can always reduce the price written on the box but i guess if they go missing the insurance would only cover up to that cost. Will see what my local hunting store can do on them.

Being a "gift" won't probably save you- every man and his dog tries that trick.
    Sometimes they just slip through but it's a lottery.
    tetawa and Frodo like this.

Probably not worth it. Even for higher end binos - I ended up buying my Swaros locally.

If you do want to buy from overseas, talk to Doug at Cameraland NY. Great, great person to deal with going from what I've read online.

The gift thing doesn't really work. The most reliable way is to declare the items' value lower than the NZ customs duty threshold...but to do that you've gotta insure the item for the same falsified value - quite a big risk if it's a high value item. 9 times out of ten it'll work, but parcels do go missing...

Banned
    I'm sure customs have never heard of the "It's a gift" trick before. And I'm sure it's not against the law to get a false value put on the customs declaration.

Fair enough guys. I like to buy local and avoid the big chain stores when I can. but potentially saving $150 is hard to beat. I'll see what my local store says.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Probably not worth it. Even for higher end binos - I ended up buying my Swaros locally.

If you do want to buy from overseas, talk to Doug at Cameraland NY. Great, great person to deal with going from what I've read online.

The gift thing doesn't really work. The most reliable way is to declare the items' value lower than the NZ customs duty threshold...but to do that you've gotta insure the item for the same falsified value - quite a big risk if it's a high value item. 9 times out of ten it'll work, but parcels do go missing...
    I have bought a few things from Cameraland NY they are good to deal with.

I remember some fellas reccomending giles from taihape sports for nz leupolds. he always had good prices.
    Jit likes this.

Plenty of good second hand options that come up here or TradeMe .

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Howa270 View Post
    Fair enough guys. I like to buy local and avoid the big chain stores when I can. but potentially saving $150 is hard to beat. I'll see what my local store says.
    You wouldn't be saving $150 anyway. Freight from the U.S. is expensive even if your mate sent them, at least $40 U.S. Also, as pointed out by others; there is no gift exemption for NZ imports. Customs staff aren't stupid and can and do check recommended retail prices online as a matter of course. If you declare a low amount you may well have the item confiscated.
    tetawa likes this.