Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

big bore sub's, ie 45/70, .44

Anyone running a big bore lever action sub sonic, I know you can with the .44 mag,
    fairly interested in a 45/70 lever at the moment,

Original bp load is just supersonic 70 gr black 405 gr bullet. Carbine load definitly was. I load for an 1884 trapdoor with sr4759 or trailboss for soft loads bout 10-1100 fps though never chronied.
    Super easy round to play with, forget jacketed bullets in this cast is the way to go imo. Maca 49 should be a good source of advice as well

Have used 33gn AR2206H (with filler on top) behind 405gn cast was getting about 1050fps
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

I was making fully suppressed .45/70 rifles (from new H&R Toppers) in the 1970's and they performed very quietly with subsonic loads. The 500 grain bullets at close to 1100fps were surprisingly flat shooting out to about 200 metres. I can't remember the load details now but I am sure I used the old DuPont PB powder. I sold a few of them and they were the first of the suppressed centrefires in NZ. I also built some .45/70 sporting rifles on P14 actions which were well received. They could be loaded up to almost duplicate the performance of the .458 Win Mag. With fast 350 grain JSP's they were absolutely deadly on pigs at any range you could hit them.