Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By hotbarrels
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By hotbarrels
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By superdiver
  • 2 Post By Pineapple

Thread: Bino help required.

Bino help required.

Hi all

Im pretty fresh to hunting and just looking into buying my first pair of decent binos and just wanted some opinions. I'm going to be spending in the $400 to $500 area and have kind of decided that the Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 might be a good option.
    So just a few queries :

- Has anyone got any opinions on the nikon monarchs?
    - Are there other options I should be looking into that might be better value for money?
    - Am I going to be disappointed with 8x42 or should I be looking at getting 10x42 keeping in mind my budget ( I kind of assumed spending more on a pair of 8x42 woud mean superior quality to a cheaper 10x42 )

thanks in advance and I look forward to some input.

cheers

Where do you plan on using them most? Have a set of leupold McKenzie 10*40 and vortex 10*40. Prefer the ergonomics of the leupold, optics of the vortex are arguably better, both around the $400 mark.

Do a search on bino's in this forum and you will get some good advice. I looked at all the brands at last years sika show and in your price range, I recommend going for the highest range Leupold you can afford. I am a Nikon camera man and love the brand and would rate them as a very good second place to the Leupold.
    freshmeat likes this.

I'm not entirely sure where yet haha. I have a 7mm08 and assumed I would more than likely be mostly bush hunting but I'll be based in north otago soon and I would like to think I'll be going everywhere I have an opportunity to get to. I have been looking at a pair of new 2016 vortex diamondback 8x42 on trade me for $400 but had seen some people recommending monarchs in online reviews.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

If the Nikon Monarch binos are the same glass as their scopes they should be pretty good value for money. I have a Monarch 3 scope and really rate the optics. If you plan on mostly open country go for 10x. 8x will give a slightly better field of view but the extra definition of 10x at distance is worth it.
    freshmeat likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    . If you plan on mostly open country go for 10x. 8x will give a slightly better field of view but the extra definition of 10x at distance is worth it.
    This. 10x makes evaluating animals easier 8x for finding animals
    Maca49 and freshmeat like this.

+1 for 10x, especially if moving to Central Otago. I sold my 8x Monarchs to a mate and got 10x Minox new for $350 and prefer them to my other mates Leupold and vortex. For some reason they seam to flatten the image and makes animals really stand out
    Dont mean to make you decision harder, I read all of the threads on here about 6 times then saw the minox on special locally

Minox hands down in that price range
    freshmeat likes this.

yeah minox have great glass. Will be my next pair.
    freshmeat likes this.

While not as experianced as these guys above I would also suggest to try some out if you can. I only say this as when buying my first set I had my heart set on one brand and when I compared 4 sets at the same time I ended up walking out with a completly different set. It may be becuase I wear contact lenses (or just general piss poor eyesight) im not sure. Nothing wrong with the advice so far though.
    berg243 and freshmeat like this.

Cheers guys I'll take all this on board and head into some stores and check a few of the suggestions out. I may have been swayed in the 10x direction.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk