Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 1 Post By HUNTY

Thread: Bino Rangefinder Issues

Bino Rangefinder Issues

Hi
    took a new pair of Leica Bino's away for the weekend,
    Friday night was overcast with a cold wind blowing not to sure of Temp but would only be in the 10 degree area,
    i could not get a reading on bino's above 350-400 yards, These bino's are suppose to range up to 2700 yards, the next morning they were the same, but by 8am when it started to warm up i could get out to 1200 yards, back at camp at lunch time we could get out to 2670 yards, by then it was a clear blue sky and hot,
    Sunday morning it was more of the same and could only get out to about 350 yards again, until the sun started to peek over the mountains, then we were getting over 1000 yards again.
    Today i decided to put Bino's in fridge for 20 minutes to see if it was Temperature related, when i took them out they were 11 degrees C, (Bino's have a thermometer reading in display menu), i could only get a reading of 285m.
    sat them on bench to slowly rise up to room Temp.
    At 14degrees i could get out to 604m
    At 16 degrees i got out to 1200 m.

my Question is,
    Has anyone else struck this?
    Anyone gone Tahr Hunting in Winter and had trouble with Rangefinders?

Have had Swarovski range finders in the past with no problem with temp affecting readings.
    Have been in touch with dealer and they will be going on a plane trip back to the motherland.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

I’d try a fresh battery before anything else.
    7mmsaum and Sika stag like this.

Yea, thought of that, ranged trees at 1377m, took battery out and put in freezer for 10 min, put back in with battery cold and ranged trees at 1377 again so don't think it is a battery problem.
    Mate has same Bino's with same problem and he has changed battery with no difference with readings.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Cool, so depending on the distance it can measure you will know how cold it is. Great feature :-)
    Seriously, I have not encounter that problem with my Leica rangefinder (2700-b)

Dev
    Yea I have the same issue with my Leica HD-B 3000, I’ve been slack in sorting this as I assumed it’s likely the battery so bought a new one but haven’t got around to testing it. Now I’ve seen this thread I should get on to it as it sounds like I’ll need to get in touch with the dealer as well...

Range finders don’t work in foggy condition could be why they didn’t work cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    Range finders don’t work in foggy condition could be why they didn’t work cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conditions were clear, overcast on Friday night and Saturday morning, No clouds Sunday morning,
    could see far end of valley 5-6km away from daylight onwards.
    buzzman likes this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Quote Originally Posted by Dev View Post
    Yea I have the same issue with my Leica HD-B 3000, I’ve been slack in sorting this as I assumed it’s likely the battery so bought a new one but haven’t got around to testing it. Now I’ve seen this thread I should get on to it as it sounds like I’ll need to get in touch with the dealer as well...
    my mate and i have the 2700HD-R, just to completely rule out the battery i will get a new one today
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Replaced battery with new one, Same result.
    Thanks for the suggestions, but i am thinking it has to be a faulty laser unit.
    cheers hunty
    hunty
    6.5x55AI