Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: A bit of .22 advice

A bit of .22 advice

Hi guys, looking for some advice on a new .22. I've currently got a 10/22 that I've spent a fair bit on over the years and really like the rifle, but it's of course a semi, and I only hunt with bolt rifles. I'll likely look to trade it once I settle on another option. Seems like the better option is to switch to a bolt .22 just for practice purposes if anything else. I've read a few reviews of some of the bolt .22's out there but pretty open to options. Currently looking at some of the CZ and Anschutz on TM because I want something with a hunting rifle "feel" to it. Are there any other good options out there to look at?

Primary concerns are: hunting rifle "feel", rabbit capable to 100m, must be bolt action, must be able to accept modern optics. I'm a heckler for quality and open to synthetic options but like a crisp trigger and anything that rattles is a no go.

Stick with your options listed above, wont go wrong with either.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Cheers dogmatix. Any thoughts on a year or date range to look for? Are the older rifles as good as the newer models?

My vote would be for a good Brno / CZ either model 2 or 2e American - don't bother with the 455 most people have to mod them to get them shoot as well as the earlier ones listed. A good one will be around 800 ish. Don't bother with the switch barrel ones I think they are still to be time proven.

Being second hand don't be scared to ask for a shoot to check performance like all second hand rifles there's lemons out there! But equally there's some absolute steals.

If you're going to get a anshutz get a model 51 action repeater ( or single shot if you're that way inclined) they're pricey for a good one. Again shoot first if possible there's some decidedly citrus flavoured ones out there that have had plenty of owners! If you're a lefty like me a 1416 is around 1250 for a couple good ones I've been offered but there's no real difference with the later action between it and a good CZ in my opinion.

Cz is my vote (for a new rifle) never really liked anschutz sporters unless they have the match action i find the standard sporter action quite clunky
    Cant to wrong with brno model 2 or 1 model 1 is the more desirable out of the two

Remember cz isn't brno and id go for an older original brno over a cz
    CZ Lux likes this.

Few more to consider - Weihrauch HW 60 J in 22LR - delightful rifle. Also if it ever appears Norinco Em332 - nice match action and super accurate at 100m. And one or two of the Remingtons - 541 and 581 - excellent 22s. Accuracy of some basic anschutz models good but not outstanding. CZ and Brno fine rifles.

I'm the opposite of carpet diem, love my cz455 22lr subsonics out to 50m couple of screws and swap the barrel to a 17her dealing to bunnies at 150m

99% of my shooting is done with a semi, nothing better for bunnies as usually when one keels over another one pops its head up
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I'm the opposite of carpet diem, love my cz455 22lr subsonics out to 50m couple of screws and swap the barrel to a 17her dealing to bunnies at 150m
    Doesn't that entail adjusting the sights as well? A friend has a sako quad, beautiful to shoot and accurate but keeps the 22 and 17 barrels in the closet and it wears the 22 mag full time because he got sick of forgetting to adjust re adjust the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    What about Ruger American Rimfire .22LR? I think you can use the same magazines from your 10/22 and its not super expensive either.
    I have looked at those but not actually shot one. Any reviews? TM is selling them for around $650 and the CZ / Anshutz are going for just over that so not much in the price long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Doesn't that entail adjusting the sights as well? A friend has a sako quad, beautiful to shoot and accurate but keeps the 22 and 17 barrels in the closet and it wears the 22 mag full time because he got sick of forgetting to adjust re adjust the scope.
    Is does involve adjusting scope but once you learn the different points of impact it's easy enough to sort out and fire a couple of shots to confirm. Rimfire ammo is always cheap, even more when the 308 is $70 a box of 20

Im also looking at changing my 10/22 for a cz452. Its going to cost around 600 to do the swap over. I have a vx1 on the ruger which i plan to swap to the CZ,once i get the funds.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I'm a fan of the old Brno's. They're beautifully made. My 1950 Model 1 with Eley standard will group into .25" for five shots at 50m. With CCI hunting subs it'll do around .5" at the same range. Of my two 1957 Model 2's one will match the Model 1 and the other very slightly larger (5/8") groups. My 1959 Brno 581 Auto will do around .6" with Mini-Mags however the trigger, like most semi auto's, is not the best and that's after extensive trigger work. That's the downside of a semi, the all day heavy triggers.

The Weihrauch HW 60 J .22LR mentioned by mudgripz is an extremely well made rifle and I've never seen or heard of one that wasn't very accurate. The only thing that has stopped me from buying one is the large size and weight and the beautiful wood which most of them seem to have. I'd somehow damage the woodwork while hunting and that would be upsetting. Still, if you want a full size rifle that more or less duplicates a centrefire then the Weihrauch would be hard to beat.
    Last edited by 10-Ring; 07-01-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    mudgripz, Carpe Diem, 6x47 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntGatherRepeat View Post
    I have looked at those but not actually shot one. Any reviews? TM is selling them for around $650 and the CZ / Anshutz are going for just over that so not much in the price long term.
    I have one. They are awesome. I can hit the 130m gong with kilwell whisper and we were hitting the 200m gong with kilwell Cobra and a Leupold 3-9x40 LR reticle scope.

They are a no fuss no frills get the job done rifle. Plenty of options with threading, sights and stock / comb adjustments. I have a 16" bbl threaded with a youth stock and high comb as most of my shooting is sitting off the quad or standing in Central Otago where numbers are high. Can't beat a 25 shot mag ��

If you have a 10/22 that shoots well then use that. They are great.

northdude
    ive got an annie it will out shoot me easily one you dont hear much about is the zastava also known as a winchester wild cat and remington rebadge it as well i had one that was a nice rifle with quality feel to it as well and shot well to