Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A bit of TLC

A bit of TLC

My 22lr semi has just returned from being on loan looking a bit neglected and with a few wounds on the scope, and my 223 has had a bit of action and figured it's time for a proper clean. So before lunch it was out with a screwdriver to pull them apart and give them a thorough clean, the 22 semi action was full of grit and the 223 had Hoppes solvent soaking in the barrel for a couple of weeks. Plastic stocks scrubbed. Semi action soaked and brushed out, dried and very lightly lubed. Mags pulled apart and washed out and lubed. Inside of barrels scrubbed out till patches clean, copper solvent in the 223 coz I think I should. Outsides wiped down and light oil rub. A clean oiled patch down the barrels, reassembled and carefully locked back in the safe.

Great way to kill an hour or so. Quietly going over everything and the lovely smell of Hoppes No 9 solvent and gun oil. Even Mrs Gadget and the gadgettes love the smell. Could be interesting in the next couple of years as the gadgettes start dating, getting all dolled up. Wouldn't mind betting when it comes time for the makeup and stuff that the cologne they reach for will be ode de gunsafe.

Who else really enjoys the cleaning bit?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yeap #9 still smells good even though they took out the real smell
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Yup it can be quite therapeutic but not as much as using the rifle in the first place
    veitnamcam and falconhell like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Too true Rushy, hard to beat to fill in a little time.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

1 hour, doh, I set aside like 4 hours at the kitchen table having a few breaks in between I like taking my time
    Hang a used oily patch from your mirror inside your car, better than those stay fresh thingees I reckon
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Cleaned and stripped the shotguns last time I was home and will be doing it again before I leave so I know they are good for duckshooting.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Even if I have been out lamping and not got home till 8am my rifles will get a oiled patch down the bore and a wipe over before bed.
    After any bush trip the barrel/action comes out of the stock to get the leaves/twigs and shit out of it.

I like dirty girls but wouldnt go near one if it wasnt clean
    Scouser likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

SiB
    I've always been shy of dropping the action/barrel off the stock - (T3 plus 1 or 2 others). So am I safe to do myself? (ensuring correct screw driver or whatever of course)

...cl...ean...?
    Spanners likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    I've always been shy of dropping the action/barrel off the stock - (T3 plus 1 or 2 others). So am I safe to do myself? (ensuring correct screw driver or whatever of course)
    Yip. Just make sure recoil lug on t3 lines up properly when you reinstall it. You will know its not right if the barrel is sitting higher than normal or the vent hole doesnt sit flush with stock

Wasn't til I got my 2nd .22, that I could play around with my first .22 jw15 and pull it to bits down to the stock
    Was worried if I did that while having the one rifle and stuffed it up I would be screwed
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    Yip. Just make sure recoil lug on t3 lines up properly when you reinstall it. You will know its not right if the barrel is sitting higher than normal or the vent hole doesnt sit flush with stock
    Hmm I got told leave it alone unless you have a torque wrench to get it same every time My hogue on heavy Howa goes pear shaped if over tightened so it worries me 300 Tikka on BC stock no probs you'd break the bolts before problems

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Even if I have been out lamping and not got home till 8am my rifles will get a oiled patch down the bore and a wipe over before bed.
    After any bush trip the barrel/action comes out of the stock to get the leaves/twigs and shit out of it.
    The same. Was just a good opportunity for a good clean and check over, especially the loaner now with battle scars on the scope.

ebf
    Yup, I'm a cleaner too

Hoppes no 9
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I line up something complex every now and again, I have an old digital camera assigned to the job, lots of photos as I go. Few tense moments, but if its not a press fit, or a permanent thread like a barrel, it gets pulled apart. My greatest fear is the hidden high tensile spring sending something tiny from something rare hauling arse across the room. Another joy of that AR15, 500 manufacturers making all the bits.
    Should try a Walther G22 they warn you publicly but it's still near impossible to catch the two springs that go boing gone . Search the net half the results say leave the buggers out ha Still feels bad having stuff left over though like working on a Morris 1100 always the odd bolt left over.