Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By r87mm
  • 2 Post By r87mm

Thread: Blaser barrels

Blaser barrels

This is a quote from Elmer Laitala. He makes and hardens complete barrels in various calibers and twists that you can't get from blaser as well as standard calibers. Barring freight and import costs [kiwi greg could be the man to help with this....?] it looks very competitive to what you can get here as far as price goes. Not sure if he does stainless but have asked.

Pricing is; $995 for the basic barrel, $40 domestic pack and ship, $175 for fluting, $50 for muzzle threading and $125 for Cerakoting.
    The barrel would be a chome moly match grade barrel from Krieger Barrels. Lead time would be around 7 months or so. We are at the mercy of Krieger on that.
    Above prices are in us dollars
    kiwijames and ishoot10s like this.

Here's his answer on stainless barrels,

Concerning your question on SS barrels, four years ago I started out making these barrels out of 416 SS but found out that it looses A LOT
    of impact resistance in extreme cold temps. The weakest part of that whole barrel system is the bolt lockup ring groove in the breech end and I heat treat that for strength,
    which makes it even more brittle. 4145 chrome moly does not have that problem so I quit making SS barrels.
    Thank you for passing on my info to other Blaser owners. Attached are pictures of the product
    Name:  Socom Barrel ID #.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  114.2 KBName:  Bernhiem #2 (1).jpg
Views: 900
Size:  2.46 MBName:  fluted barrel.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  3.69 MBName:  fluted barrel.jpg
Size:  3.69 MBName:  fluted barrel.jpg
Size:  3.69 MB
    kiwijames and ishoot10s like this.

Thanks for this very interesting but I’m wondering if there would be a significant saving after GST, customs charges and shipping. But for a non standard twist could be good to know about

I doubt cost is a consideration with regard to the Blaser barrels. It's one of, if not the most limiting issues with the R8. Great system, super accurate (yes, heavy relative to other makes) but not easy to spin a custom barrel up in a twist rate you want.

Has anyone bought one of these in and can offer an opinion through first hand experience?

I'm surprised aftermarket R8 barrels aren't more commonplace.