Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Blued rifle advice

Blued rifle advice

Hey guys just keen on some advice on blued rifles. My question is whats the upkeep on them like? is it worth just going stainless? Ive never owned a blued rifle before I know alot of the guys here run them just seeing what peoples idea on it is. Cheers

Just keep them clean and oiled. No problem. If I'm going into some really shitty conditions I rub vaseline well into all exterior steel as well.
    Pixie Z, Been Upto and mimms2 like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

My NZ rifles are used in wet and coastal environments so Stainless / synthetic is the preferred option.
    My Australian rifles are used in dry arid environments so anything will do and are a combo of blued / synthetic and blued / wood
    Been Upto likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

northdude
    ive got both i spray lanocote on a rag and rub on the steel bits and dont have any rust problems
    Steve123 and Been Upto like this.

Treat like any other rifle, a daily wipe down with a lightly oiled rag or a dry one, to remove sweat blood etc and pull through the barrel should see you right. Stainless will still rust if you do not look after them also.
    Been Upto likes this.

Cheers for the advice guys, I always rub my stainless rifles down afteruse. Seems like its the same deal with blued rifles

And don't think "stainless" (it's not true stainless) won't corrode. eg Early Kimbers rusted like a bastard. I don't know what they are like now.
    Micky Duck and Been Upto like this.

keep it lightly oiled and look after bore...get it home and clean it well...if been along beach,get it out AGAIN 3 days later and reclean the bits you missed,they will be red by now.
    wood and blue has soul that SS and synthetic just doesnt have.
    Been Upto likes this.

What areas do you usually hunt? If its alpine tops no major issues. I have switched to stainless as the majority of my hunting is coastal and they are stored in a safe withen 200m of the sea so the salt air gets on everything
    Micky Duck, Been Upto and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    What areas do you usually hunt? If its alpine tops no major issues. I have switched to stainless as the majority of my hunting is coastal and they are stored in a safe withen 200m of the sea so the salt air gets on everything

Stewart Island ‘baptized’ my Finnwolf - back in the 70’s when it was still quite new I fired a shot at a whitetail in the morning (got it) and by the time I got bam to camp in the evening the inside of the muzzle was showing a faint tings of rust...
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Who does a real good bluing a rifle job in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I hunt mainly taranaki bush and the ruahines,thinking I'll get away with a blued rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    keep it lightly oiled and look after bore...get it home and clean it well...if been along beach,get it out AGAIN 3 days later and reclean the bits you missed,they will be red by now.
    wood and blue has soul that SS and synthetic just doesnt have.
    Im really liking the blued rifle look with the wood stocks aye looks mint

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Stainless corrodes just like blued ones if they are not given preventative maintenance.Seen plenty of T3 rifles with corrosion forming under the stock line.
    fuk I've never taken mine out of its stock. Might have to do it. Mind you nothing would piss me off more than taking it out of the stock and then it doesn't shoot as well as it does again. Wouldn't happen to know the factory torque settings for the take down screws anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    fuk I've never taken mine out of its stock. Might have to do it. Mind you nothing would piss me off more than taking it out of the stock and then it doesn't shoot as well as it does again. Wouldn't happen to know the factory torque settings for the take down screws anyone?
    For a T3? Usually around 35-40 inch pounds.
    northdude likes this.