Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bolt action 22lr recommendations

Bolt action 22lr recommendations

Hi all,

Currently have a semi out 22 but looking to swap it out for a bolt action one with a suppressor for rabbits.

What’s everyone’s recommendations at ones to go for and ones to avoid?

Ideally would like to be spending around or under $500 for a package of scope and suppressor.

Cheers

Glen

older JW norinco..... they go well and accurate.
    timattalon and Moa Hunter like this.

If you get an older norinco, whatever you do, do not pull it apart! Just use it and clean from the exterior

I love older quality stuff. There have been some cheaper-than-normal Brno 2E rifles on t/m. I love mine as it’s very accurate, came threaded and will accept Norinco mags. Estimating rrp in the $800-ish range but you may be able to acquire one for less.

I’ve also had the Russian Toz rifles and although cheap and rather ‘agricultural’, good ones can be very accurate. They don’t come threaded though as I recall.
    Taupohunter likes this.

Plus one for a Brno 2E.
    I have one as well as a Norinco.
    The Norinco is a lot cheaper but the Brno definitely shoots better.

For under $500, I agree either a second hand Norinco JW15 or a Toz.

Keep an eye on what scope's on it. Either an older entry level leupold eg VX1 2-7 or 3-9 or else a newer Redfield would be ideal. You could go down in brand if you see an airgun model with close focus eg down to 10m. examples are Leapers, Nikko and Hawke.

When you start, if budget is limiting, the suppressor is most dispensible. An old suppressor could be bent (like I had once) and the owner sells the outfit cheap but as soon as you take off the suppressor it shoots fine. New quality suppressors are $100-$200 (MAE and DPT).

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    I love older quality stuff. There have been some cheaper-than-normal Brno 2E rifles on t/m. I love mine as it’s very accurate, came threaded and will accept Norinco mags. Estimating rrp in the $800-ish range but you may be able to acquire one for less.

I’ve also had the Russian Toz rifles and although cheap and rather ‘agricultural’, good ones can be very accurate. They don’t come threaded though as I recall.
    The older Toz 17s were not threaded (circa 1970s) but the later Toz 78s were a much nicer rifle. Some were threaded and others not depending on the model, and they are a bit harder to find as people who bought them dont want to part with them....

And as above , the earlier Norinco JW15s in the wooden stocks or a JW27 were good. My JW27 is still going strong after 25 years of use.
    Bagheera and Ingrid 51 like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    For under $500, I agree either a second hand Norinco JW15 or a Toz.

Keep an eye on what scope's on it. Either an older entry level leupold eg VX1 2-7 or 3-9 or else a newer Redfield would be ideal. You could go down in brand if you see an airgun model with close focus eg down to 10m. examples are Leapers, Nikko and Hawke.

When you start, if budget is limiting, the suppressor is most dispensible. An old suppressor could be bent (like I had once) and the owner sells the outfit cheap but as soon as you take off the suppressor it shoots fine. New quality suppressors are $100-$200 (MAE and DPT).
    I'm not sure about MAE at present. Currently in receivership.

A Marlin 925 are very hard to beat.
    Mid weight microgrooved barrel.
    Very good wee shooters. @mudgripz always regrets selling me his lol

If you can find a Norinco EM332 GRAB IT!!!
    timattalon and Bol Tackshin like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Yep ... in that price category the bolt Marlins really are excellent wee hunters - shoot well and all I've benched were easily sub 0.5" at 50m. Models 925 and 980 good. A little Jw15 chopped to 16" barrel and with action polished makes a deadly and effective wee hunter - one of the best little worker 22s. Have chopped about 20 and used them heavily for years - almost all the chopped and recrowned ones sub 0.5" at 50. The Toz 78 (newer model) a good if you can get it.

Do these models have prettiness? - not necessarily. But functionality is a definite yes. Yep avoid Polytech brand JWs. Interesting to hear Muzza's comment on Outdoor Arms - but yes the past GC JW15s I've had to develop and bench test have often been very poor. Like they were put together with spare parts that didn't necessarily fit.
    Micky Duck and Ruawai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    If you get an older norinco, whatever you do, do not pull it apart! Just use it and clean from the exterior
    Why is that just curious?

My outdoor arms JW-15 wasn't too bad once I switched to using CCI, but still worth avoiding.

Also avoid the latest model Marlin, Xt-22. Mine is good now thanks to excellent service from Dunedin H&F - it had some major QA issues including needing a new bolt. It's not as accurate as you would expect based on the reputation of the older models either.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Mmmm I pull them apart all the time - but someone obviously had a bad experience. Perhaps they put it back together with barrel incorrectly positioned in barrel channel, or incorrect retorque on bedding screws which could affect accuracy.

Yes the later model Marlin XT22 not as well put together as the earlier model 25, 925, 880, 980 etc. They're very good wee hunters. Run Marlins on CCI ammos and you'll get the accuracy and reliability.
    Last edited by mudgripz; 31-07-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    Why is that just curious?
    My Dad had one 20 odd years ago, was the most accurate 22 he ever owned he reckons. One day he got self conscious and decided to pull it apart to clean it. It came apart with a good crack and never shot the same since. A few years ago I inherited one from my father in law. Similar story it had sat around and I decided to clean it not knowing my Dads story at this point, it came apart with a good crack and although it still shoots good enough it now doesn’t go back together very well and likely doesn’t shoot as well as it used to.
    Synthetic likes this.

The Truth shall make ye fret.