Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: bolt fluting, recommendations

bolt fluting, recommendations

hey boys and gals, any of you done a fluting job on your bolts? what difference does it make apart from making it look hotter.
    Who you would recommend for the job and what style of fluting you would go for?

Cheers.

Lee

what rifle is it for?

gunworks do it, i think it looks cool but havent bothered with it as its just another way for crud to get into the action
    the amount you save is minimal

https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/category/fluting-bolt
    mikee and lee308 like this.

Makes it harder to clean and on some rifles seems to make bolt binding a bit more of an issue.

Looks cool and makes it a bit lighter though. Think DPT does it now no?
    lee308 likes this.

Looks cool? Maybe to some people.

Saves weight? So slight (about the weight of three 2" nails) as to be a complete waste of time and a fair chunk of money.

Some experienced hunters like to put their fingers on the bolt body to quietly work the bolt when bush stalking. Bolt fluting makes this sensible method impossible without shearing off large chunks of skin!
    kiwijames, Bill999, mikee and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    what rifle is it for?

gunworks do it, i think it looks cool but havent bothered with it as its just another way for crud to get into the action
    the amount you save is minimal

https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/category/fluting-bolt
    bergara hmr

Bos
    Looks good but thats where it stops really. If you're concerned about weight, and thats often the reason given for fluting, buy a lighter knife.
    Some bolts cant be fluted because of their design
    mimms2 likes this.

Cole
    One of my tikkas came with a fluted bolt and I think it looks awesome, want to do it to my other one but purely for cosmetic reasons. But the flip side is having one fluted and one not makes it easy to grab the right bolt for the right rifle. Just my 2c

not really concerned about weight. just thought it looks cool as all the customs actions come with a fluted bolt. haha.......
    dannyb likes this.

I had gunworks flute the bolt on my sako and they did a great job, as far as weight saving goes nah not really maybe just carry one less round to save the same amount of weight.
    I freely admit I did it for asthetic reasons and I'm fine with that, I think I remember reading on this forum and I'm happy to be corrected that fluting the bolt may have had it's origins from shooting in subzero temps where the action freezing was a real possibility and fluting the bolt gave less surface area for the bolt to freeze in the action thus making it easy to break free if it did freeze ?
    Could be fantasy who knows ?
    As stated I did it for asthetics and I'm more than happy with the results, it wasn't that costly about $140ish from memory.
    I'll stand back now and await my flaming

Name:  20200123_161631.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  3.02 MB

Name:  20200123_161801.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  3.31 MB
    Last edited by dannyb; 23-01-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvk-kp View Post
    One of my tikkas came with a fluted bolt and I think it looks awesome, want to do it to my other one but purely for cosmetic reasons. But the flip side is having one fluted and one not makes it easy to grab the right bolt for the right rifle. Just my 2c
    All fluted or all plain, finding the correct bolt should never be a problem because they should always be left in the rifles! They are pretty much irreplaceable if lost. There is no legal requirement to store them separately (despite what some Police will tell you) provided the ammunition is stored separately.
    Kiwi Greg, mikee, crewe2 and 4 others like this.

Cole
    Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    All fluted or all plain, finding the correct bolt should never be a problem because they should always be left in the rifles! They are pretty much irreplaceable if lost. There is no legal requirement to store them separately (despite what some Police will tell you) provided the ammunition is stored separately.
    Good to know, I thought they had to be stored with the ammo. Thought it would be good to keep them seperate incase I got burgled and then if they didn’t get both the rifle and bolt then it’s pretty much worthless to them.
    RUMPY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lee308 View Post
    hey boys and gals, any of you done a fluting job on your bolts? what difference does it make apart from making it look hotter.
    Who you would recommend for the job and what style of fluting you would go for?

Cheers.

Lee
    In my opinion It makes your wallet lighter by several boxes of ammo that you could use to good effect practicing, it doesn't add anything to accuracy, it takes no weight off, leaving one round out of the magazine will save you more weight.
    It can in theory in crappy conditions trap mud etc and grind it into the important little places.
    Its an astethic thing, all for show not for performance.
    Appearence can be important and if it's important to you then do it but don't expect it to make any difference to how well the rifle shoots or how well it fits you.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I had gunworks flute the bolt on my sako and they did a great job, as far as weight saving goes nah not really maybe just carry one less round to save the same amount of weight.
    I freely admit I did it for asthetic reasons and I'm fine with that, I think I remember reading on this forum and I'm happy to be corrected that fluting the bolt may have had it's origins from shooting in subzero temps where the action freezing was a real possibility and fluting the bolt gave less surface area for the bolt to freeze in the action thus making it easy to break free if it did freeze ?
    Could be fantasy who knows ?
    As stated I did it for asthetics and I'm more than happy with the results, it wasn't that costly about $140ish from memory.
    I'll stand back now and await my flaming

Attachment 128793

Attachment 128794
    Looks fkn hot with that fluting.
    I would get mine done like that.
    Cleavage on new girl friend. Fuk yeah !!
    Phil_H and dannyb like this.

Got mine done by gunworks on my 284. Looks sweet and they did a very nice job. It certainly wouldn't take skin off when trying to close the bolt quietly as has been mentioned because the job was done well.

All of mine are fluted. One is a custom action that came like that, the other two ate T3s that were fluted in the US. They cost $45 each to do, which makes it a more sensible proposition than some of the prices I see here.