Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bore cleaner

bore cleaner

who uses boretech eliminator or similar?

only bottles ive seen in shop were big ones, and 80 to 100$

does anyone sell smaller bottles?

Boretech is very good stuff, I have used there eliminator for ages, and just got a bottle of there carbon remover C4.
    I was using the kg brands aswell but have gone away from them now, didnt like the copper remover.

Cheers
    Shane

I use boretech eliminator. Reloaders sells smaller bottles.

I use Boretch. I have found it to be very effective with cleaing fouling out of my barrels.

Deadeye Dicks and Reloaders sell smaller bottles of the stuff, should be around $35 for a 4oz bottle.

Another option for serious copper cleaning is Barnes CR-10, its some very potent shit too!

Just started using it the other day, great stuff to use and does a great job.
    $65 for a big bottle.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I've been using it for yonks Antsman, it's good stuff, see Quinten, he'll do alot better than that price for a 16oz bottle, around the price Malhunting is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Boretech is very good stuff, I have used there eliminator for ages, and just got a bottle of there carbon remover C4.
    I was using the kg brands aswell but have gone away from them now, didnt like the copper remover.

Cheers
    Shane
    I've kind of gone the opposite way to that, i.e used Boretech religiously and have now gone to KG's.

I had a badly neglected barrel and no amount of Boretech would remove the fouling. I looked down the barrel I could still see colour (copper fouling) after hours of cleaning. So I purchased some KG's after reading that article in NZ Hunter mag and to be honest my first impressions of KG's were that it was useless, as the patches came out clean looking - so I assumed that nothing was happening. But after following the instructions on the bottle (KG's) I shown my torch down the first couple inches of barrel and all the copper streaks were gone as if by magic!

Weird stuff (KG's) but it certainly works much better than the Boretech does for removing copper IMO.

kj

I had exactly the same situation with the afore mentioned cleaners. Kg made the eliminator look useless but make sure you read the safty blah for the kg12 something about cyanide!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    I've kind of gone the opposite way to that, i.e used Boretech religiously and have now gone to KG's.

I had a badly neglected barrel and no amount of Boretech would remove the fouling. I looked down the barrel I could still see colour (copper fouling) after hours of cleaning. So I purchased some KG's after reading that article in NZ Hunter mag and to be honest my first impressions of KG's were that it was useless, as the patches came out clean looking - so I assumed that nothing was happening. But after following the instructions on the bottle (KG's) I shown my torch down the first couple inches of barrel and all the copper streaks were gone as if by magic!

Weird stuff (KG's) but it certainly works much better than the Boretech does for removing copper IMO.

kj
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

+1 on Kimjon and Andyanimals comments. I only use the eliminator to check the results of KG12 now.

KG12 does have its issues, its not as user friendly as boretech

It stinks, It does not soak into patches it rolls off like water off a ducks back so you have to use it with a bore guide and a nylon brush, or drip some in front of a patch in the bore guide port. There is no reassuring colour change. It goes darker when there is copper present, but it's not so easy to tell whats going on by the colour unlike boretech.

Yeah i also agree with above comments.

I use a boreguide and still found it a pain in the ass, I dont seem to have a copper problem in any of my guns, My Wetherby .223 was the worst but after 600 odd rounds it not an issue anymore.

Wow cyanide? I'll make sure not to leave it around any possums then haha, but thank you for the heads up as I didn't realise this.

Yeah, it took a little bit of getting used to its (KG's) idiosyncrasies alright - but I found a way around the ''running off the patch'' issues, and that is to wear disposable (latex of similar) gloves and to rub it into the patch carefully on a flat surface. It quickly absorbs and you can go about your cleaning in the normal way.

kj

Glu
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I had exactly the same situation with the afore mentioned cleaners. Kg made the eliminator look useless but make sure you read the safty blah for the kg12 something about cyanide!
    There is very small amount of cyanide in it like many products but there isn’t enough in it to be considered hazardous under US Department of Transportation or the EU Transportation Regulations. It’s not even harmful to any marine life. In order for it to be toxic you would have to drink more than a bottle but as it is in there it has to be displayed on the bottle . The new bottles will even have a little skull and bones on it to fit in with the EU regulations .
    Like everything in the US they have to cover themselves as they are sue crazy over there .