Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: Bore Sighters - any good?

Grotto

Bore Sighters - any good?

I got a bore sighter awhile back, thought it would be good to be able to get scope roughly sighted before making fine adjustments.

Unfortunately the one I got (pokes down end of barrel and fits .177-.5) was useless as laser could barely be seen at 5 metres (at night), so I never got a chance to test it.

Before I buy another one, I thought I'd ask;
    Are they worthwhile?
    Should I get a multiple-fit one, or get the cartridge style ones specific to my rifles?

Thanks!

(If anyone wants my crap multiple-fit one to try and fix just let me know).

Just take the bolt out and bore sight. Easier and more accurate.
    Blaser, HUNTY, BRADS and 4 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Essentially they are useless as you have found plus I don't like the idea of pushing mandrels into the end of my barrels even though some may be non metallic. I believe the cartridge case laser ones are even more crappy.
    I can guarantee a hit on A4 paper @ 100yd using the @gadgetman method. I bore sight using a power pole insulator in the paddock next to me, aprox 80 yards away. Or sometimes the tip of a strainer post on my boundary. I have also heard of a method of drilling out the flash hole on a fired case and sighting thru that - have not tried myself.

Grotto
    I don't think I can do this on most of my rifles which are semi-auto, but would work on the bolt action ones.
    Sounds like the laser is a waste of time, I'll just use a few more rounds and do it manually. Never takes more than 6 or so shots.

What's the gadgetman method?

Thanks

I spent $100 or so on a tapered red dot laser one that you insert into the end of the barrel. It has different plastic fittings for various bore sizes. It was a bit fidly and worked ok but I wouldn't waste my money again, it's just as easy to bore site looking straight down the barrel as suggested by gadgetman. I now use the laser sight to play with the cats as I hardly ever need to bore site once the rifle is sighted in. Once your on the target at 25m or so it's reasonably straight forward to site in from there.

Just take the bolt out and look straight down the barrel at the target and then check your scope, it's surprisingly easy to see and do. Your just trying to get onto the paper at close range (say 25m) and can then make your adjustments via the scope before moving back to refine your sighting in at say 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Grotto View Post
    I don't think I can do this on most of my rifles which are semi-auto, but would work on the bolt action ones.
    Sounds like the laser is a waste of time, I'll just use a few more rounds and do it manually. Never takes more than 6 or so shots.

What's the gadgetman method?

Thanks
    gadgeman method is as per his posting - the eyeometer method. Sika stalker has done a good job of explaining.
    Otherwise, if you have an auto fire one shot at 25 yards. Use a reasonable sized backing board just in case you are miles out - if you are there may be a problem looming. Assuming you hit at 25 yards then holding your rifle really secure aim at your aiming mark again and then without moving the weapon adjust your scope cross hair to the bullet hole. Assuming your rifle has some grouping ability you are underway and can go to 100 yards. Or if anal fire one more at 25 yards. I boresight at home and then shoot @ 100yds no pissing around at the closer ranges - saves ammo.
    Typically for say a 308 shooting 150grs and scope 1.5 centre to bore centre you should hit at 25 yards ~ 0.8" (20mm) low to be on at 100 yards.
    Last edited by zimmer; 01-08-2015 at 03:19 PM.
    gadgetman likes this.

I use a Leupold boresighter myself, use the graduations on the guage to determine height from middle of objective lens to top of barrel. Put boresight on end of barrel ( magnetic ) at the height you measured and turn on. Look through scope and you will see a small illuminated graph with cross hairs for you to align your scope cross hairs to. I used mine today to bore sight a weaver 4x scope ona P14, first shot at 100 meters was spot on for height and 30mm to right of bull
    Google Leupold boresight and see if its what you want.

northdude
    I've got one and its shit but now I've got a rifle that's sighted in I'll put it back in the rifle and readjust the laser

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    I've got one and its shit but now I've got a rifle that's sighted in I'll put it back in the rifle and readjust the laser
    No laser on the model I use, tried one of those bullet lasers you drop in but the bloody thing was useless from the start

Fulla
    Another way or a check after bore sighting.... line yourself up looking down the barrel, but on top of it. Then into the scope (the wrong or backwards way) you should see the reticle. If your looking straight down the barrel this will give you a rough idea of windage. Watch the reticle move as you adjust windage.
    GIves me good results.