Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Boyds stock finish

Ive got a laminated stock on the way for my 96 mauser cause the plastic handle on it at the moment sucks arse .
    Ive also got half a litre of boiled linseed oil in the shed , is there any reason I should use anything else ?
    The rifle will be treated like my xwife so im not too worried about it looking pretty

I could be wrong but I think trying to oil a laminated stock will be tough as the wood is completely impregnated with resin so will not absorb it.

My understanding is you need something that sets in either a matt or gloss finish.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

gave mine the hell oil when it turned up...... rubbed it in using steel wool to start but found it was leaving bits of steel everywhere so changed to various grades of scotch pad between coats.....its good on a bush rifle as the maintenance is low .....just oil it up again when it starts to look a bit dry and dull..........suggest you bed the rifle first(oil will probably effect the adhesion of the bedding compound).....they don't come with a ferule in the rear bolt hole(I had some stainless steel ones made) and if its anything like the m98 the stock is too fat for the recoil lug so I had to make my own.

Cheers scotty .
    Ive got the rear pillar sorted , just need the stock now.
    I was going too just use nutec bog too bed it with , Any reason why not ?

Never mind , found some devcon epoxy steel putty that isn't too lumpy . Should be mint.

I was tempted to use a 2 pac epoxy glue ( an automotive one used for bonding steel to steel ) but when I read the bullshit for it there was no mention of adhesion to wood so flagged that and bought the proper stuff from reloaders... better safe than sorry and its not that expensive .

Yup was thinking the same till I read this http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html ,
    ,and just happened too have some devcon I borrowed from work about 7 years ago that I new would come in handy one day