Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bring stuff in luggage from the US/Canada

Bring stuff in luggage from the US/Canada

Sorry I know there is a million threads at the moment on such topics, maybe we could make some sticky threads lol.

But anyway, I have a friend who is travelling to the US later this year and he was thinking about bringing back some brass, projectiles and other bits and bobs.
    I know that gun parts need and export permit if you want to take it out of the country, and an import permit to come into the NZ, but does projectiles and brass need anything to get out of the US? I'm possibly going to Canada next year so am wondering a similar thing.

Actually while I'm at it does anyone know if you try to bring stuff out of Canada or the United States whether these things are restricted, or do they not care what leaves in your luggage?

Thanks

Yes, Projectiles and brass need export permits from the USA, some people risk it in their baggage and are OK and I know of others that have been detained.
    Scopes are ok.
    I use Reloadinginterational.com for Brass and projectiles and buy in $400NZ lots so you skip GST.

Projectiles and Brass have never been a problem in baggage. I do it often as do most people I work with. I've asked US Customs at the gate and no issues.

FletchNZ likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

i bought some parts back from the states last year, they ended up stinging me for tax so watch out for that. and going through aussie on our way back they were going to take it off me and give it back when i left..... wasnt keen on that at all.

Canada isn't a problem. I have done it lots. Informed customs each time. Under five kg of live ammo is ok. This is air transport limit.
    However components are cheaper in the us. But Canada is cheaper than NZ buy lots.
    Less restriction from Canada than USA.

I'm not surprised Canada is less restrictive than the US, but I'm shocked you can bring live ammunition, seems kinda odd but suppose it's no worse than a hunting trip down south.
    I assume you need an import permit though?

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Projectiles and Brass have never been a problem in baggage. I do it often as do most people I work with. I've asked US Customs at the gate and no issues.
    Good to know that more than just one guy has done it with no problems. I did a google search and seems plenty of Kiwis bring stuff back, as well as Brit's and Aussies too.
    Do you usually declare it to US customs or have you just asked on one occasion? Any of your work mates had any problems?

I think it would be easier to declare than for them to X-Ray then put you through the wringer.

There is a guy in Mexico called Juan. He has a package to be sent over so maybe combine. All goes well could be a monthly thing
    dogmatix and Scouser like this.

I flew home from Canada in 2010 without any issues with a about 300 pieces of brass, 100's of projectiles, miscellaneous reloading equipment, a handful of knives, pile of hunting gear and also a rifle.

There was paperwork for the rifle and the rest was just in my luggage. Only question I got was in NZ (border security) asking why the all knives (5). Explained that I had worked in a hunting shop over there and that each knife was for a different purpose i.e. fishing, hunting, caping, pocket knife, multi-tool, etc.

Had no issues anywhere else. Also never got stung by GST as I was over there for 18 months and all the gear had been used while over there.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

You are supposed to declare live ammunition prior to turning up at the airport for international flights, luckily no such nonsense for domestic with AirNZ

Brought back a small amount of reloading gear from USA last October, including a very handy 100 round 9mm cause gauge unit, no issues with TSA for me and they still went through my bags and left the nice note saying 'hey, we've opened your bag'

I shall tell my mate he should be fine bringing back some stuff from the US.
    If he get's detained I'm certain I'll hear about it, and I'll let you lot know.

Canada seem's easy as, no surprise really.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I shall tell my mate he should be fine bringing back some stuff from the US.
    If he get's detained I'm certain I'll hear about it, and I'll let you lot know.

Canada seem's easy as, no surprise really.
    I'm planning on bringing lots of goodies back.

What's the worst that can happen

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    I'm planning on bringing lots of goodies back.

What's the worst that can happen

Cheers
    Pete
    Well hopefully it'd just be a slap on the wrist, but who knows with the US and air travel.
    I spose being from New Zealand and not certain other countries would work in your favor, should there be any problem.

But seems as though there shouldn't be much problems anyway.

To dig this back up, has anyone done this recently? I have a friend going and he plans do do lots of shopping and bring it all back in his luggage. Paying tax etc not an issue its more the other stuff, I think things like gas blocks and he wants to get a magpul stock for a mdt chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same, I'm in the US right now and want to grab a Magpul stock and hand guard...doable or no go?

Edit: Just saw that the Magpul stuff can't be shipped out of the U.S. probably unless you're a company doing it I guess