Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Wingman
  • 1 Post By pdw

Thread: Brno Fox query

pdw

Brno Fox query

Hi everyone, I have an old Brno Fox in 222, shoots ok but the barrel sadly has a fair amount of old pitting, so it’s not going to get any better, and I’m keen to renovate. I’m aware that the CZ 527 is a newer version, can the CZ barrel be screwed into the Fox receiver? I’m guessing the action will be longer on the 527 as it’s a 223, but are they compatible any other ways? Thank you!

there is thread here somewhere where a fella has made one a switch barrel..eg has three different barrels...pretty sure its a fox he used. @Wingman will know forsure about your fox

Brno Fox and CZ 527 both have 25 x 1.25 threads
    The magazine lengths and action cutout are different between 222 and 223 actions AFAIK

pdw
    ‘Shoots ok is just under 1” in field conditions, which is pretty good I guess. The blueing is quite badly worn in places, it has been shortened and has no open sights. The CZ barrel would be 1 in 9 twist which might be too tight for 222? Ok for 55gr perhaps?

Yip same barrel but the fox .222 mag is shorter than a .223 mag. Easy to trim a 527 .223 barrel up a bit and ream it to .222 though. The new 527 barrels are all 1-9" twists but they still shoot the lighter stuff well, 40gr to 70gr.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pdw View Post
    ‘Shoots ok is just under 1” in field conditions, which is pretty good I guess. The blueing is quite badly worn in places, it has been shortened and has no open sights. The CZ barrel would be 1 in 9 twist which might be too tight for 222? Ok for 55gr perhaps?
    My CZ 223 has a 1:9 barrel and it shoots stunning groups with down to 40 gr V-Max projectiles which were actually bought for my Hornet.
    Have some 35 V-Max projectiles for the Hornet as well which I might try in the 223 one day, for giggles.

It also shoots great groups with 53gr and 55gr projectiles but couldn't get it to group with heavier stuff like 69gr which the 1:9 should stabilise.

The 69gr projectiles were a long discontinued Berger. The Berger calculator said they should be stable. I just stuck to around 55gr in the end.

I run 69gr TMKs in mine and they are superb

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    I run 69gr TMKs in mine and they are superb
    Should try them. No doubt unobtainable right now.
    What powder? @Wingman
    I've always sworn by BM2.

I run 2206H, been getting mine from Robert at Workshop innovations but havent tried lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    I run 2206H, been getting mine from Robert at Workshop innovations but havent tried lately.
    Thanks for that. I've got 2206 and 2206H.

Robert is out of stock. Amanda to the rescue, order placed.
    Thanks for your help.

pdw
    Thanks Wingman and Zimmer, really useful advice. I’d probably look to follow Wingman’s suggestion and re chamber to 222, I kind of like the idea of 222 as a caliber, and I’ve spent too long shooting 5.56x45mm for a living to own one for fun! I like the idea of a light, accurate rifle in caliber that when shot properly will deal to deer, goats, small game etc, whilst also being ideal for my kids to learn to shoot with one day.

Any idea what a gunsmith would likely charge to do the above? In the past I’ve used Alan Carr in Paraparaumu, he is fantastic at sympathetically working on or refurbishing old rifles.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have a take off 223 1:9 CZ 527 barrel spare..

pdw
    Thanks for the offer, I just managed to pick up a brand new CZ527 barrel on TM for $100, I’ll get it fitted at some point, hopefully heading off to a place on SH4 where there’s a few fallow soon, looking forward to seeing how it goes!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pdw; 15-05-2021 at 12:16 PM.